Safest Time to Plant

Discussion in 'Maples' started by cfieldgrower, Aug 8, 2013.

1. cfieldgrower

cfieldgrower Member

Hi,
    This is my first post and I am just getting more into JM lately. I have a few trees that I planted back in 2004 and then this spring I planted a few more and most are doing well.
    I recently purchased six JM cultivars(grafts) that are all around 4 years old and very healthy and in containers. Most of them are dwarf and semi dwarf and around 2-3' tall. The person who sold them to me has taken very good care of them. I want to do whatever I can to increase their chances of survival, so my question is: Should I plant them now or wait until a better time for planting? I can easily store them in a shed through Winter and plant in early Spring if that is what's best. I am in Central Virginia zone 7. and the JM that I have are:
    Shishigashira
    Goshiki Kotohime
    Kamagata
    Kato No Ito
    MikawaYatsubusa
    Acer jEmmett's Pumpkin
    Thank you for any advice. I know this type of question gets asked all the time but I am not asking if it's OK to plant now but what is the safest time for planting these JM's
    Bill in VA

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Zone 6 and higher fall is the best time to plant hardy stock. Do not keep woody plants in the same pots for extended periods as their roots soon hit the pot walls and start circling around. You also do not want them sitting in old, decomposed and poorly aerated potting medium.

3. Atapi

Atapi Well-Known Member

Hi Bill,

I was wondered if you can give me the name and phone of the nursery/place that you picked up the Shishigashira and M. Yatsubusa. I am in Fairfax, VA and I can't find them from any local nursery around here.

Thanks, Steven

4. cfieldgrower

cfieldgrower Member

Ron, Thank you for the words of advice, I will wait until Fall.

Steven,
    I purchased them from a private seller that did not have more of the ones you mentioned, however, I do recommend http://www.colesvillenursery.com/ located in Ashland, VA. They have a pretty good inventory and most likely have those two JM's.