Acer palmatum 'Oki Kasame'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by winterhaven, Apr 18, 2009.

1. Kaitain4

Kaitain4 Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

Have not seen any to date. Try spraying it with Bayer Advanced Disease Control. Should zap it completely.

2. mattlwfowler

mattlwfowler Active Member Maple Society

Haven't seen any on mine, but it is in a lot of sun.

3. winterhaven

winterhaven Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Here's where I posted about my troubles with my Oki kasame this year: http://www.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=62395.

It now has 2.5 leaves on the tree, but the branches look healthy and the remaining leaves are perky. I'm hoping it lives and speculating that it caught a foliar fungus or was sensitive to ocean breezes as we had many gusty days this year.

4. winterhaven

It's still hanging in there.

Attached Files:

5. Skippy

Skippy Member

Great spring colour , not too exciting in the fall though..vigorus grower for me

Attached Files:

6. plantoid

plantoid Active Member

California, USA, near Oakland / San Francisco
    I've had A.P. Oki Kasame for two years now and I'm not that impressed with it.

I made the following observations:

Year 1: Spring color virtually identical to A.P. Improved Chishio. The spring leaves were scarlet red, but due to the leaves being very tiny and the spring show is not spectacular. The spring show lasted about 3 to 4 weeks. The leaves gradually transitioned from scarlet to burgundy then fade to pinkish green. The leaves caught heavy mildew during mid to late summer and all the leaves dropped due to mildew before late fall.

Year 2: Spring color was much less bright scarlet than in the first year. Instead it was half way between scarlet and burgundy even when the leaves unfurled. This mediocre spring show lasted 3 to 4 weeks. This year it did not catch much mildew. At least the mildew did not spread to the whole tree like it did last year. Fall show was a mixture of yellow/brown/orange. It was not entirely bad, but I did not consider the fall show impressive at all.

It's still planted in a large 10 gallon pot and is about 3 feet tall by now, but I don't think I will plant it in the ground. My A.P. Shindeshojo and A.P. Beni Maiko are much more impressive throughout the year than Oki Kasame.

Steve

7. plantoid

plantoid Active Member

My Oki Kasame did well this spring, at least as bright red as Shindesghojo, Beni Maiko, and Shin Chishio. It came out of dormancy before the other three. I will post pics of Shindesghojo, Beni Maiko, and Shin Chishio in the next post for comparison.

I always feel hesitant to apply fertilizer to these bright red maples. Don't know how the spring and fall color might be affected.

Steve

Attached Files:

8. plantoid

plantoid Active Member

The first pic (5274) is Shindeshojo.
    Second pic (5272) is Beni Maiko.
    Third pic (5269) is Shin Chishio.

They were taken on the same day and at the same time as the Oki Kasame pics in the previous post.

Steve

Attached Files:

9. winterhaven

This one died on me last week. It and a Shin deshojo were in separate containers near each other in very similar growing conditions. The received the same care. This last year has been heartbreaking.

10. Skippy

Skippy Member

Some pics from this spring, very little growth this year.not quite as vivid as last year....

Attached Files: