Identification, and advice re: splitting the roots

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by playethic, Jul 25, 2013.

1. playethic

playethic New Member

I've been growing the expanded family of the attached-photo plant for some years, but don't actually know what it is.
    Can someone help with the identification?

Also, a question. When these plants were little, it was fairly easy to gently untangle and pull apart the roots when one was pot-bound, and to separate it into new plants. Now that it's quite big, however, the bases of all the 'branches' seem to be melded, hard, as one. Do I 'cut' this hard root core into sections, ensuring there is a mass of roots attached to each section, and re-pot that way? Or would that kill it?

Thank you

Attached Files:

2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Looks like Zamioculcas zamiifolia, ZZ Plant.

3. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

When I propagated mine I used the individual leaflets. It takes a long time but there's no chance of killing the plant.
    Root as you would African Violet.

4. Indignation

Indignation New Member

As Jungle Keeper has said that plant is definitely Zamioculcas Zamifolia or the "ZZ plant" for short. I think they look utterly stunning when they get larger like yours has.

I did divide one once but it died! (I think though the plant was on its way our to start with though). Whatever, when I did, it was too gently trying to untangle the roots, just made a mess. If I did it again, I'd be brutal and just make a straight cut down through the middle.

The ZZ plant is quite resilient because of the roots / tubers storing a lot of energy so as long as you have at least a few and some roots with each section you should be OK. It will always be a gamble though... Leaf propagation is much more reliable.