More Massachusetts yard IDs needed

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by breegold, Jul 24, 2013.

1. breegold

breegold New Member

Finally got around to taking more pictures. There are a few weeds and a few intentionals in here.

-1st is an older version of a weed I couldn't get a solid ID on earlier, because it was too young and hadn't developed a visible leaf pattern yet. Keep in mind this plant is fuzzy.
    -2nd is a weed that looks superficially like poison ivy, but is fuzzy, possible pre-thorny.
    -3rd is a bush by the house that sprouted some pretty flowers
    -4th is another bush by the house that sprouted some really pretty flowers (pic taken through window)
    -and 5th is a long shot. Not in the yard, along my commute, taken while driving. This tree recently blossomed into the most interesting flowers; they look like fiber optic threads instead of petals!

Attached Files:

2. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

3. Vine Clematis Cv./Bush looks like an Azalea.
    4. Hibiscus syriacus.
    5. Albizia julibrissin

3. breegold

breegold New Member

Persian silk tree, very cool!

And Azaleas and Hibiscus, good to know. A lot of these IDs are of flower names I've known all my life, but didn't have an image to place with them, so this is great, thank you!

4. stone

stone Active Member

1) looks like a hibiscus, possibly Hibiscus aculeatus.

5. Barbara Lloyd

Barbara Lloyd Well-Known Member

Under "leaves of three" looks like Vinca, can't tell if it is minor or major

6. Susan G

Susan G Active Member 10 Years

#2 looks like raspberry - possibly red (Rubus idaeus) or black (Rubus occidentalis). If it is a raspberry the underside of the leaves should be whitish. Red raspberry would have a bristly stem, whereas black raspberry would have prickles and the stem would have a whitish waxy coating that rubs off.