new to orchids

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by sissy, Jun 24, 2013.

1. sissy

sissy New Member

I ended up with six moth orchids. Only two had any roots left when I went to re pot them. I'm trying the sphag and bag method on the other four. The other two I have hanging up bare bottomed, at first it was to kind of let the roots dry out since they were all pack in foam. Like the kind you find in couch cushions. Now they just seem happy to be naked. I soak the roots every morning and so far the one is putting out more flowers and the other is growing more leaves. Is it okay to leave them be for the rest of the summer and just pot them up in the fall?

2. DirOCRC

DirOCRC Member

Should not be a problem; just don't let them dehydrate keep an eye on the humidity try to keep it above 50%.

3. Indignation

Indignation New Member

In my experience Moth Orchids will flower even if close to death. The one growing leaves sounds like it will pull through, but it's obviously up to you, but personally I would snap/cut the flowering spike off the other plant to encourage its energy to go into producing more roots / leaves.

4. sissy

sissy New Member

I cut the flower spikes off them. I pulled them out yesterday to look them over and they are all putting out new roots and new leaves. I'm excited these are my first orchids.

5. sissy

sissy New Member

Everybody graduated to pots and bark.