10 day compost method...

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by cagreene, Jun 19, 2013.

1. cagreene

cagreene Active Member

i have been reading a gardening book called 'good food dirt cheap' from the late 80's. there are 3 methods given for making usable compost. 1) is 10 days, which i have recently done (10 days after pile first reaches 140-160 degrees) 2) is a 21 day method, 3) is an annual method.
    for the pile to quickly breakdown and reach the desired temps, there must be a 30-1 carbon to nitrogen ratio. the book gives a list of each item and what their carbon/nitrogen levels are, which i will list in next post if anyone is interested.
    i have recently moved into a much smaller yard and do not have the space for a big compost, secondly i need usable compost quickly to mend soil issues.
    then once pile reaches the desired temps, to keep the microbes digesting quickly, the pile must be pulled apart with a machete and hoe, shovel or pick axe every two days and then covered. (10 day method) or every 3 days (21 day method) if it smells like horse poo, you have too much nitrogen , not enough carbon.
    once pile is reduced in size considerably, and will no longer pass 110 degrees, no matter how much you hack it apart, it is ready to be bagged or put on garden. here is a picture at 8 days. i am working on next pile tomorrow and will be taking step by step pictures. please feel free to add any advice, as i am new at composting! peace.

Attached Files:

2. cagreene

cagreene Active Member

it has been only two days since starting the new compost pile. already the food scraps and kitchen waste is unrecognisable. the leaves and weeds are from my most recent slaughter with nicotiana rustica plant organic weed killer in my new yard.
    after layering each,(leaves,food,grass,food,kitchen waste, grass,) and adding some of the old compost to help speed up microbes growth, i packed the pile loosely, wrapped it up with garbage bags stapled together and places 2x2 wood in sleeves made at ends to hold it down in rain and wind.
    the pile is just starting to heat up when i hacked it to pieces. here are some pictures of the new pile and its PH. will be checking the PH at each turn. once my new camera has been formatted, and i have read the 10,000 page manual, i will try some time lapsed photography. peace and happy composting.

Attached Files:

3. cagreene

cagreene Active Member

has anyone ever tried or used this 10/21 day method before? if so, i would be very interested in your results....
    i am using a long stem compost temp gauge to determine temps exactly, for time to turn and if i am using the right mix. so far so good, on my way out now to turn and hack it apart. will take more pictures today, and post carbon/nitrogen list of kitchen and yard scraps. peace and happy composting to all!

4. cagreene

cagreene Active Member

i am so sorry i could not take the pictures and keep up with this thread....unfortunately, i am fighting for my life with illness for several years now, and had to be hospitalized. i am supposed to take it 'easy', but there is plenty of time to rest when i am dead....(joking)....but everyday above ground is a good one, so i will be starting from the beginning as soon as possible. my sincerest apologies to any who were following this thread. peace and happy gardening to all!!

5. cagreene

cagreene Active Member

it has now been two years since i began using the 21 day compost method and i am extremely happy with the results! 25-45 liters of compost/rich soil every 10-21 days (depending on temps)! i have made tons of new flower beds and had amazing results in crop sizes!
    my garden has never been happier! my strawberry plants have tripled in leaf size, flower out put and size of fruits!
    the trees i have started in 100% composted soil are taking off like crazy! and my lilies are all double in flower sizes, have 12-25 flowers on each plant, are aprox 9 feet tall and my babies grown from seed 2 years ago are flowering for the first time! i am so excited to see what colors they will be! ( i cross pollinated the star gazer with a white with orange similar lily plant, a full purple lily and a dark fuchsia colored one, who knows what color they will be when they are fully flowered!!)
    i have started selling bags of compost to my neighbors this year and getting rave reviews! who couldn't use 45L of awesome soil every 10 to 21 days?!!!
    my compost is nothing more than a 3 foot hole in the ground covered with plastic, nothing high teq except the $19 compost thermometer and a watering hose which extends far enough to reach, as the compost should always be moist to speed up breakdown....
    peace and hapy gardening to all!!

6. TheScarletPrince

TheScarletPrince Member

Interesting, I will have to try it out. We need as much soil as we can get and since you can't trust the system to protect us (CAFO waste can be used in organic commercial, bagged soils...) it is best to make your own!
    We've pretty much just been feeding it to the ants we have, haha. Anything, as long as it doesn't go into the landfill which traps the carbon and contributes to GHGs.

7. GreenLarry

GreenLarry Active Member 10 Years

This is very interesting. I have a very small garden and use a plastic compost bin. It takes ages for anything to happen and I rotate it as best as I can regularly. Trouble is there's a lot of grass cuttings from mowing the lawn. But I put layers of cardboard in there. Like a lasagne. But it looks like I need more paper, for the carbon.
    Also I could do with a second bin so I can leave this one to work through.