Opuntia gracilis

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Chris Klapwijk, May 15, 2005.

1. Chris Klapwijk

Chris Klapwijk Active Member 10 Years

Opuntia fragilis

About a decade ago, I collected some Opuntia fragilis from a hillside in Nanoose Bay, overlooking the local submarine base.

Although the plants are growing well, they have never flowered for me.
    I'm beginning to suspect it just doesn't get hot enough here in Langley for them to bloom.
    Is there anyone who can confirm this, or alternatively, suggest ways to induce flowering?

Thank you.

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Local wild populations said to be shy-blooming. Pads catching on otter fur important means of dispersal. First Nations peoples thought to have moved some of them around as well.

Funnily, other species from outside area bloom readily in local gardens.

3. Brent A. Hine

Brent A. Hine Active Member 10 Years

About Opuntia fragilis, I also collected it from the same area at Nanoose Bay in 1999 (planted out in 2001), although along the seashore, near the point, in the restricted area - with permission, of course! I planted it in the E.H. Lohbrunner Alpine garden at UBCBG and so far it has put out one flower - it's still quite small. How about moving it to a new (warmest possible) location in the garden there in Langley, Chris?

4. Chris Klapwijk

Chris Klapwijk Active Member 10 Years

Brent, thanks for taking the time to reply.

Friends of ours lived in Nanoose Bay for a number of years. We visited the area often and at different times of the year.
    I did my collecting across the bay from where you did yours.

The E-Flora BC website provides the following details (and others) about this plant's location:
    Elevation (meters): 630 (average), 225 (minimum)
    Slope Gradient (%): 26 (average)
    Aspect (degrees) [0=N; 90=E; 180=S; 270=W]: 200 (average)

The area I collected in is very close to average for slope and aspect, and near minimum for elevation; the E.H. Lohbrunner Alpine garden is similarly situated so your chances for success are greatly enhanced.

Our property is basically level woodland, with 2nd growth forest, undisturbed for 65 years, on most of it. Our woodland microclimate is definitely cooler in summer than Nanoose Bay, it just doesn't 'bake' here like it does there.

5. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

If you're adventurous enough to sail or power boat to the Winchelsea Islands (124 degrees-4' W and 49 degrees -17' N), you'll find at least one of the several islands literally covered in O. fragilis. For those without a chart, the Winchelsea Islands are off the East coast of Vancouver Island several miles East of Dolphin Beach (Nanoose Bay region).

6. Brent A. Hine

Brent A. Hine Active Member 10 Years

I visited South Winchelsea Island in 1999. Its size is about 25 acres, and its covered with lovely Quercus garryana, Camassia quamash, Sedum spathulifolium and yes, Opuntia fragilis. It's also held in trust by TLC, or The Land Conservancy, I believe. There is a small cabin in good condition that they rent out for longer stays. I should mention that it's important to obtain permission before venturing onto that island.