Shade loving Ivy

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by HopeRyan72, Jun 17, 2013.

1. HopeRyan72

HopeRyan72 New Member

I found this ivy-looking plant just off the road near my house in a deeply shaded area of the woods. I live in western NY, I believe zone 5.
    It seems to be a ground cover, as the patch spreads more and more each year. It sprouts up new every spring, and is deep green through late october.
    I would like more information on this type of plant because i was thinking about moving some to a dark shade area under a pine tree in my front yard.
    I have walked through it and touched it without any adverse reactions, so im positive its not deadly poisonous (because thats the kind of luck i have)
    But i want to make sure its not going to take over my whole yard, or even kill my other plants in the general area. the area I plan on putting it is raised up, and has landscape timbers around it. I do have a bleeding heart bush in the same area, and i will cry if it gets choked out. I have successfully grown vinca vine in this area, so hopefully this will work out! Free is best!

Attached Files:

2. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

3. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Ditto to Lesser Periwinkle Vinca minor.

4. HopeRyan72

HopeRyan72 New Member

Well thanks guys! I dont know why i cant ever seem to identify plants... I even looked up the different types of vinca vines because it looks like the stuff i had growing last year! I think the flowers threw me off because ive never seen them bloom.

Im new to the world of gardening and plants and such, and apparently, im not very good at it : ) Thanks so much for the help! From the looks of the PDF i probably wont be putting it in my flower beds, but its so pretty, maybe ill get some for potted plants or something.

Again, thank you so much for the help.

5. breegold

breegold New Member

Oh, man! I thought for sure this was one of the few plants I'd successfully ID'd in my new yard as purple wintercreeper! That's it, I'm taking pictures of everything and posting it now.