Acer palmatum 'Shindeshojo'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by jacquot, Mar 30, 2005.

1. Poetry to Burn

Poetry to Burn Active Member

hey Charlie, WELCOME!

Great tree.

gil

2. amazingmaples

amazingmaples Well-Known Member 10 Years

Thanks Gil

That is the smallest of three which I bought at a place in Oregon. The biggest one went into the ground in my garden. I have one more that size in the ground in Oregon which I bought this year. I will get it in a few months along with 14 other impressive japanese maples but I am still not sure where I will put all these trees. It seems there is one good thing with this year, there are lots of great trees to be found.
    The Iseli Nursery representive came by my place today and she said she had never seen any place like mine with its japanese maples. I am now working on a youtube video of my garden. I hope to find someone to help me with it since it is a bit long of me talking. The video will be great info for collectors and i hope to make them on a regular basis so to show some of the changes in the trees. this year has been very wild for coloring, everyone out west has said the same thing, "the red trees are GREEN???"
    I will continue to post more photos of these wonderful trees I find.

charlie

3. amazingmaples

it was a good day to take photos of my shin deshojo. This year the tree is in a new location. It should stay there for a while??

Attached Files:

Backcountry Dan likes this.
  4. amazingmaples

Here is the color in end of july 2011

Attached Files:

5. amazingmaples

for some reason this year some of my large Shin deshojo did not turn green, they stayed a light white/pink. I have to stunning in this color.

Attached Files:

Backcountry Dan likes this.
  6. sasquatch

sasquatch Active Member

Mine has done the same thing. I wonder how the fall colors will be?

7. amazingmaples

Re: Acer palmatum 'Shin deshojo'

Strange year for this shin deshojo, it was white a few weeks back and now it is pink. I am sure over the next few days it will change color???

Attached Files:

8. amazingmaples

I think the shin deshojo has the best red/pink spring color. It has the most saturated coloring where the others fade out sooner. Here is the spring color for 2012

Attached Files:

• 011.jpg
      011.jpg
      File size:
      292.1 KB
      Views:
  9. mattlwfowler

mattlwfowler Active Member Maple Society

Yes, of the trees currently available I'd have to agree. However, "something" makes me think we'll see a significant improvement on shin deshojo as well...at least in color retention.

10. Houzi

Houzi Active Member 10 Years

What do you mean Matt?...is there a Shin Shin Deshojo in the pipeline? lol

11. mattlwfowler

I can't say much at this point, but I would keep my eyes peeled if you like these types of trees :).

12. amazingmaples

i do not klnow how you can find anything better than this

Attached Files:

• 067.jpg
      067.jpg
      File size:
      108.9 KB
      Views:
    • 068.jpg
      068.jpg
      File size:
      99 KB
      Views:
  13. Atapi

Atapi Well-Known Member

Hi Charlie,

Thank you for sharing your JM gems with us. Yes, I agreed with others that the video that you posted are pretty impressive and it boots our JM enthusiastic. I have a question after watching the video. Why are you keeping your plants on a large pots instead of put them in the ground - any pro & con?. Is it normally better for the tree to grow inground unless you want to content its growth?. And how often did you check for root bound?.

Many thanks,
    Steve

14. mattlwfowler

Not to knock on Shin deshojo, because it is lovely, but there is one coming that I find to be better...much better in fact. It has the same (or very similar) spring color but keeps a strong red diffused over yellow through most of the summer. It may keep it all summer long for you pacific NW guys in fact. It will probably be a couple years before the first liners get moving out though.

15. maplesmagpie

maplesmagpie Active Member

I just wanted to note that this Shindeshojo made it through a severe 5b winter nearly unscathed. In a pot. Not even a huge pot. I lifted it myself and brought it back to the (outside) of the garage in a slightly sheltered area, put some straw around it, wrapped one of those plastic trunk protectors around the main branches, and left it.

This tree just earned its spot in the ground. I love this color--

Attached Files:

16. bub72ck

bub72ck Active Member

Any updates to this post? We're approaching the two year mark.

17. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

From the moment my Acer palmatum 'Shindeshojo' leafs out it gives so much pleasure all Spring and into early Summer. Once July is here it does lose it's lovely Scarlet colouring as can be seen in my last photo. But still pretty IMO with the different shades of colours.

Attached Files:

sun likes this.
  18. Acerholic

One month on from my last pictures and the change in colour is amazing. 2nd August early morning photos.

Attached Files:

19. Acerholic

25th August 2020, the calm before storm Francis arrives. O er three weeks since my last posting of my Shindeshojo and the mottled leaves are giving real interest. Not the in your face colours, but IMO just as nice in a subtle way.

Attached Files:

zfrittz likes this.
  20. Acerholic

@mattlwfowler good morning, I know yours is a very old posting, but after a conversation this morning with @Houzi about your remarks regarding a newer and better version of Shindeshojo, I was wondering if you have anymore information on this ?

21. Acerholic

18th September 2020 and a picture of the whole tree as requsted yesterday. My Shindeshojo is holding it's greens very well atm. Not long and it will be a blaze of reds.

Attached Files:

22. Acerholic

7th November 2020 and added this one after conversations yesterday to show how long the leaves last on my Shindeshojo. Please excuse the peregrine it was a gift from my eldest granddaughter when she was 7, so will never be moved lol.

Attached Files:

23. Acerholic

9th November 2020 and years only two days since my last posting but, the colours are so varied now I had to show it.

Attached Files:

24. Acerholic

12th November 2020 and I think this is the best I'm going to get this Autumn on my Shindeshojo. Very delicate rather than vibrant colours this year. But I'm happy with it.

Attached Files:

25. Acerholic

26th April 2021 and here is my Shin-Deshojo just unfurling for another Spring.
    Shindeshojo 203.JPG