Acer palmatum 'Red Wine'

Discussion in 'Maples' started by ROEBUK, Jun 17, 2013.

1. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Bought (rescued) this new variety last year from my local nursery did not look to clever at the time of purchase but for £6.00 i thought why not, well this year after repotting with a new mix of growing medium it's quite amazed me how well it's progressing lovely colours at the moment (see pics) and it has a facsinating leaf growth which shows them all pointing downwards at the moment and close to the branches.

Was wondering if anyone else has seen these or knows how they develop regards the structure and colouration over the years, i am posting another thread soon on "Bargain basement" Acers which i bought over the years for next to nothing and how they have come back to life look great and save you money!!!

Attached Files:

2. bertil fox

bertil fox Member

I was ripped off mine cost me eight quid. very nice plant though, on its own roots which worried me. Seems to be doing well this year in a sheltered position.

3. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Bertil fox, Mine also is kept in a very sheltered spot wedged between a 'Omureyama' on its left and a large 'Shishigashira' to the right, i have kept this there since i brought it home and seems to love it's position.

Went to the same garden centre today and they have more of the same variety in stock but for £24 and none are anywhere near as nice as the one i bought last year!!

Must go now lots of thirsty Acers to water on what has been a beautiful hot sunny day in the UK.

Attached Files:

4. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Bought this one for £10, less than half what I would pay for a 80 cm J. maples here!

Like a 'Ruysen and a £3, 20cm 'Little Princess', the leaves are not very colourful, they probably leafed out indoors...

Attached Files:

5. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Very nice colours this year, the leaves were dark green when it leafed out, then gradually turned to the "lush green foliage and red tips" described on various websites:

March 2016:
    acerp-redwine_160320a.jpg

April 2016:
    acerp-redwine_160427a.jpg

June 2016:
    acerp-redwine_160601a.jpg

August 2016:
    acerp-redwine_160805a.jpg

6. Afterglow

Afterglow New Member

I love my little Red Wine, if I remember correctly it was the first Acer to bud in mid March, really is one of my favourites, it simply just stands out, you may remember Mark I got mine last August from Morrison's for £8, it was a nice clean green colour, it turned magical come autumn with various colours, at the moment its just starting to turn green now, well behind yours, most of it is still in the reds, has been shaded by the fence, but full daylight.

Being this is my first spring and summer watching the tree go through its colour changes. Something that sets it apart and one thing that I really like about this Acer is when I water it on an evening, the change in colour is very dramatic, the contrast of colour intensities to why its probably been named... a Red Wine colour. a glossy deep rich reds.

Here's a couple of images from today, though not completly accurate as my tablets camera is fairly basic, and colour tones can be off slightly, the tree is past its spring best and colour looks faded compared to what it has been, though still very nice colours and for me, still standing out in the garden, the tree had some pruning early in the year. I look forward to watching my little tree in coming seasons as I think it will continue to impress.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 9, 2016