my dying maple tree

Discussion in 'Maples' started by jeanetteaddington, Jun 8, 2013.

1. jeanetteaddington

jeanetteaddington New Member

my maple tree was taken over by ivy that I have in my yard- we did not remove the ivy because we were told it would not hurt the tree. This year a large branch is being removed and it has a lot less leaves than ever:( we are removing as much ivy as we can from it but can anyone suggest anything else we should do to save my maple tree I would estimate the tree is at least 50 years old--just a wild guess.
    Thanks

2. Kaitain4

Kaitain4 Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

It would help if you could post a picture of it. Removing the ivy should help get more light to the tree, but there may be more going on than just over-zealous ivy..

3. jeanetteaddington

jeanetteaddington New Member

ok I will work on getting that submitted- I need to figure out how to do that :) I am new to this site but I am sure I can figure it out.

4. Kaitain4

Kaitain4 Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

When you make your post, at the bottom there are options for Manage Attachments. Its very straight forward to upload a file. If you don't see Manage Attachments, click the "Go Advanced' button and then you should see it.

5. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

6. 17 Maples

17 Maples Active Member

Jeanette just to add about placing photos, as you remove the ivy if you do this yourself watch for the introduction en-masse of ants. for some reason they are attracted to all forms of Ivy. this could be a problem in the root-zone of your maple or even within the heart wood of the tree.

7. Ryan K

Ryan K Member

If ants are in the heartwood, you have way bigger problems. Is the whole tree covered in Ivy? If the ivy is covering most or all of the tree, the maple won't be getting any sunlight. That means it can't create energy to grow, or fight off invaders, whether that be fungi, bacteria or insects, etc. If the tree hasn't been able to create enough energy for a few years in a row it will have used up its stores and will start to die off.