Sentimental baby palms dying, please help

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by deadlythumb, Dec 30, 2005.

1. deadlythumb

deadlythumb Member

We sold our family home in Los Angeles and now I'm in cold MD. Palm trees lined our street and the seeds and things fell into our yard and new palms sprang up all the time. I dug up three of them. The oldest/maturist one is perhaps 10 in, including the long root.

Anyway, I brought them here and put them in a large pot, trying to allow for the apparent depth of the roots. They dont seem to be doing to well and the tips are yellowing. I planted them in potting soil, cause it looked like dirt which is what I figured they were growing in at home. I can repot them in one of the mixes if necessary. Should I put them in a warm room, near a heater, in a plastic bag, a special mix, pot - anything?

I dont know the name of the palms. Whatever is indigenous to Los Angeles, I guess. My mom says 'cones' drop in the yard, but that cant be cause that would make it a pine tree right? They are definetely palms. If there is general palm information or care, a book, or a site, I would appreciate it. They are the only things I have here that are truly representative of my home

2. seahawks2884

seahawks2884 Member

Sounds like you have Washingtonia Filifera or Washingtonia robusta. Both of these palm trees are native to California. I would give your palms some B vitamin for recent transplant it helps root growth and transplant shock.Any nursery store will have B vitamin. Also these palms like lots of light so you might have to get some grow bulbs in the winter.If you want more info on these palms just type in Washingtonia filifera in your search engine.Also the seeds of these palms are among the easiest to grow.
    Good luck with your palms