My Cicada Tree

Discussion in 'Celebrate Biodiversity' started by timber284, May 27, 2013.

1. timber284

timber284 Member

It took 17 years to bloom but it was worth the wait.

Attached Files:

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Very nice!

3. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Hey, timber, you are already decorated for the holiday season! A little gold spray paint and you are good to go.
    'Oh, cicada tree, cicada tree---how lovely are thy branches!'

Do these visitors hang as thickly upon other foliage, or do they (for some arcane entomological reason) prefer this shrub amongst all others? If the former...oh wow. And if the latter, how fortunate you are to have it in YOUR yard!

The occasion most definitely requires a Cicada Party. The genus name of these insects is...Magicicada. I kid you not. If for no other reason, this fact is reason to celebrate. '100 magicicadas on the wall, 100 magicicadas are here..' (Decimal places can be added at your discretion.)
    Everybody sing! Block party!

I remember the last emergence...such an unrelenting din. Like living in Paul Bunyan's drill-press shop.

In a word:
    GAAAACK!!!

4. timber284

timber284 Member

They are everywhere: shrubs, walls, cars, driveway. Yesterday morning I was working outside when I heard a noise like a house alarm going off. It was still there hours later and when I mentioned it to my neighbor, he said it was actually the cicadas two blocks away.