unknown houseplant

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by tutor51, May 21, 2013.

1. tutor51

tutor51 New Member

Would love if anyone could help me with this. I purchased this plant and the only thing the tag said was various foliage and also that it was an air purifying plant. I've taken a few pics and would be very greatful if someone was able to identify. I've only had it a few days so I don't know if it flowers or not. The foliage is glossy and the first pair on each branch is rounded then the rest are pointed.

Attached Files:

2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Looks like Coffea arabica, Arabian Coffee.

3. tutor51

tutor51 New Member

Hmmmmm that would be really cool if it was. The tag on the plant said costa farms and I went to their website and could not find a coffee arabica plant in their selection of plants. Are their other plants that also look like a coffee plant? Of course I guess I csn wait 3-4 years and see if it blooms hahaha.

4. Junglekeeper

Now is the time to separate the seedlings if you prefer to grow them as individual specimens. The roots will be much harder to separate at a later date.

5. tutor51

tutor51 New Member

Oh that's great advice thanks a lot. I was actually wondering about that when I was looking at images of coffee plants and saw one single stem/trunk. If I didn't separate them would it grow into more of a bush than a tree? Again thanks so much for the advice.

6. Junglekeeper

If you were to continue to grow them in one pot what would likely happen is some individuals will die, some will be stunted, and the remainder won't be as big as they would be otherwise. Doing so would not make them take on bush form although the overall appearance may be such because of the denser foliage.

I grow mine as individuals and they're quite bushy. Apparently the form the tree takes is affected by its cultural environment. The one which I gave to my neighbor took on a much sparser form when grown in their home.

7. tutor51

tutor51 New Member

Thank you so much for all the information. I really appreciate it. It looks like I have a lot more plants than I originally thought and will be dividing and giving some away :)

8. Lor400

Lor400 New Member

If I were you I would probably keep all the individuals for a cpuple weeks to make sure theyre staying healthy before giving any away. You would hate to give a bunch away and have the one or two you kept die.

Laura

9. tutor51

tutor51 New Member

Excellent point. Thanks!

10. Lor400

Lor400 New Member

No problem. Good luck repotting!

Laura

11. Junglekeeper

You could distribute the plants in various locations in your house to see where they'll be happiest. I suggest places with bright, indirect light and where humidity is high.

12. Grooonx7

Grooonx7 Active Member

13. Lor400

Lor400 New Member

Costa farms is in Florida, not Costa Rica, just fyi, I just got a plant from them 2 weeks ago. :)

14. Grooonx7

Grooonx7 Active Member

(Yes, I understood that. I was just suggesting a typical coffee-country as a model for your plant's growing conditions.) :-)

15. Lor400

Lor400 New Member

Ah, excellent. I was only making sure, I assure I meant no offense. Confusion could easily arise given the name of the company.

Laura

Last edited: May 26, 2013
  16. Grooonx7

Grooonx7 Active Member

—Not to worry, Laura. You could never offend me. (It's this strange side of me which is most unscientific, which senses people (and non-people, too) and their spirits, if you wish, even at great distances.) :-)

17. Lor400

Lor400 New Member

:) ;)

Laura