Acer palmatum 'Ukigumo'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by Elmore, Feb 19, 2004.

1. winterhaven

winterhaven Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

My recovering Ukigumo. I'm really impressed with its whiteness. If you look closely you can see some all green leaves here and there in the crown. I left a few figuring it needed all the chlorophyll it could get during its recovery. I predict that next year it will be much more full. It's not even fall and I'm already salivating for next spring!

Attached Files:

2. amazingmaples

amazingmaples Well-Known Member 10 Years

My ukigumo are just starting to change color

Attached Files:

3. brierphoto

brierphoto Active Member

Love the yellow! Mine showed a bit at the very end, but the very deep pink it held for the last month was worth the sacrifice :)

Attached Files:

4. JerryRaack

JerryRaack Active Member

Hmmm, I bought a large Acer palmatum about 4 years ago from a wholesale nursery here in Ohio, but it was pretty well all-green except for a bit of blotchiness on the leaves (not even white, just a paler green). They thought it was supposed to be 'Ukigumo', but it was not tagged. I planted it in my garden, and the first 2 years, it was pretty much just green. Last year it was the whitest it has ever been, as seen in the first photo taken June 2nd, 2011. In the fall of 2011 (Nov 5th), it turned a pretty clear yellow, with no other color changes during the year (see photos 2 and 3). I would include a 4th picture showing the leaves today, but I can't figure how to do it. I'll put another post after this showing them. I wonder if it is truly Acer palmatum Ukigumo or something else? Also, the leaves are not as highly dissected as some others on this thread have shown that are highly variegated. Any guesses if what I have is something other than Ukigumo? WHere it is planted, it is a lot of moisture, and gets only about an hour (at best) of full sun, as the very large deciduous trees around it shade it the rest of the day.

By the way, when I was in Oregon last August, I visited a couple of nurseries, and the one I saw at Buchholz and the one at Greer Gardens were really white with some green, much like some in earlier posts in this thread. Extremely beautiful. Wish mine would look like that. Having already been in the ground for 4 years, I doubt it will change much in the future.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

5. JerryRaack

JerryRaack Active Member

OK, here is a 4th photo I wanted to include in my previous post, but couldn't figure out how to do it. It shows the same Acer palmatum Ukigumo today (3 May 2012). Not very white!

Attached Files:

6. amazingmaples

Jerry

I have had Ukigumo trees loose all of their white leaves and what I ended up with is a leaf very similar to what you post in #80. After a couples years of those leaves I dump off the trees and bought better looking trees

7. JerryRaack

JerryRaack Active Member

I was afraid someone was going to say something like that. I saw another tree labeled as 'Ukigumo' at a reputable nursery on the west side of Columbus (I know it came from Iseli Nursery as there was a tag on it). It too was totally green. I saw some nice trees when I was in Oregon a year ago (Greer Gardens). Maybe I'll have to spring for one from them if I can't find one locally. Bummer!

8. amazingmaples

I get some great Ukigumo from Buchholz nursery which are pure white. One of the things i have noticed is the size and shape of the leaves. The whiter the leaves, the small they seem to be and they tend to be more curled. Some of what you might see from Iseli trees is the affects of fertilizer which tends to make the trees more green. I have found that trees which just come in from the growers do not always turn the color they are suppose to be. It can take one to wo years for the tree to get to the correct color. I found this wtih Yezo nishiki which was green for two years and now the trees are their wonderful reddish color.

9. JerryRaack

JerryRaack Active Member

Yea, I ordered a Purple Ghost, Hana Matoi and Shojo no mai from Buchholz this year, and they were great. I agree with you on their Ukigmo as I saw some last year when I was there and they were very white and of great size. I guess I'll have to order one. Problem is, I usually wind up ordering quite a bit of stuff, and not just one item! Wife doesn't want me expanding the garden any more than it is. By the way, our blooming of trees and shrubs this year has been spectacular! Warmest winter on record, an early spring and decent rains. Rhododendron in particular have been so heavy, they almost break under the weight.
    On another unrelated topic: Have you or do you know someone who grows Tsuga mertensiana 'Elizabeth'? I bought one this year and am going to try and grow it in Columbus, Ohio. I'm not worried about winter hardiness, but rather summer hardiness. We can get some hot humid summers (mid 90's with humidity at times), and I'm concerned about it in that weather. I want to put it in mostly sun so that it stays compact. Do you have any experience with this plant? Any suggestions?

10. ksc

ksc Member

nice color this year

Attached Files:

11. maplesmagpie

maplesmagpie Active Member

I planted this last summer, in the dark shade between a garage and a fence. Not the prettiest spot for a tree, but the only shady spot I had left. Mostly I wanted the chance to see its leaf colors in person-- this spring it's been fun to watch.

Attached Files:

12. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

My three ground trees are just starting to show at the moment ,looks like we are going to have a good showing of white this year? All of these are stratgicaly placed so they get just the right amount of sun/shade duing the day, first pic this one gets only one hour + of the sun when it basically crosses the front of the house around mid day onwards, the sun is then blocked out blocked by a large Baldsmith and Hogyoku to it's right which shades it then all day, it's like looking down a tunnel at the tree but it's working very well at present and seems to like it's new spot.

Then the other two are again blocked of sun until mid afternoon, but again they only get on average around 2 hours of sunlight then back into the shade. Also the sun in the UK is never searing and the temps are usually only in the 70s on a good day !!

Always interesting to see each year what colours they are going to show, just had the one tree which had three all green leaves which were just nipped out.

Attached Files:

13. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Even in 33°C here today in the South of England my Ukigumo is doing well and holding it's colours. It is in morning sun and afternoon shade.

Attached Files:

14. Acerholic

So many say that Ukigumo is just a Spring delight, here is mine on the 4th July 2020. It is in a well shaded area.
    Previous post photo was in early June. Not deteriorating much IMO.

Attached Files:

15. Acerholic

What a year for Ukigumo, July 14th 2020 and it's still flourishing. Normally by this time of the Summer it's starting to look tired, but not this year.

Attached Files:

16. Acerholic

3 weeks since my last posting and several questions on how my Ukigumo is still doing, well photo today 31st July 2020 shows it's doing fine and I'm very pleased.
    As we enter August and the possibility of continued heat, we will have to see how it goes.
    I will post regular updates through the month.

Attached Files:

17. Acerholic

3 weeks since my last posting and several questions on how my Ukigumo is still doing, well photo today 31st July 2020 shows it's doing fine and I'm very pleased.
    As we enter August and the possibility of continued heat, we will have to see how it goes.
    I will post regular updates through the month.

18. Acerholic

4th August 2020 and yes my Ukigumo is still colouring my shaded area of my garden. It has not stopped since it leafed out in Spring. I wonder how it will cope with the heatwave at the end of this week. I will update the thread as requested.

Attached Files:

19. Acerholic

11th August 2020 and the heatwave continues, trying to update as many as I can as requested, even if they are not looking too good. Important to do this I feel.
    This is one I'm keeping up to date with photo wise. Is it because it's such a favourite in my garden, lol.
    Still holding it's colours even in this heat. It is so very well protected though.

Attached Files:

20. Acerholic

18th August 2020, just a touch of scorch on my Ukigumo. But this has been an outstanding year for this one and it seems also across the UK from photos I've seen.
    Fingers crossed for 2021, but two years on the trott, maybe a little optimistic. We will see !!!!!!!

Attached Files:

21. Acerholic

22nd August 2020, well what a year for Ukigumo and to show that there is still more interest to see, here is my very early morning photo.
    Sorry for the spelling typo on the thumbnail.

Attached Files:

22. Acerholic

27th August 2020 the winds have died down at last. Some suffered more than others.
    I have been asking about Ukigumo Nishiki on the forum, as it would seem to be an interesting version of my Ukigumo. But it would have to be very special to beat this cultivar.

Attached Files:

23. Acerholic

5th September 2020 and the diary continues, each day has a new colour on the leaves now. And tbh some rather strange colours this year.
    Yes still performing to the very end it seems this year. Oh for a better camera to show the complexity of the Ukigumo leaf.

Attached Files:

24. Acerholic

A lot of PM's last night asking about many of my cultivars, so here this morning, 11th September 2020 is my Ukigumo. What is not to love about this cultivar!!!!? From every angle it is a winner IMO.

Attached Files:

25. Acerholic

16th September 2020 and new growth is everywhere, due to this unseasonably warm weather.
    And also the colours hold on my Ukigumo. What a year !!!!

Attached Files: