Identification: Schefflera like houseplant and invading mushrooms

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Duncan Creamer, May 11, 2013.

1. Duncan Creamer

Duncan Creamer New Member

Hello,
    I have a plant I am unable to identify. It has some sort of fungus infecting the soil that is making the soil hydrophobic. So I'd like to identify the plant, figure out the correct soil for it and then figure out how to deal with the mushrooms.

It has a woody trunk, the leaves are like a hand with 5, 6 or more "fingers". I believe this is called a palmate leaf? These can break off quite easily if hit or brushed against, but the plant doesn't seem to mind. In many ways it seems like an umbrella plant (Schefflera Arboricola) but with only one main trunk that branches, and long slender arms that terminate in a large hand-leaf-cluster thingy thing, I don't think so.

I'v included some pictures, please let me know if there's any additional info that would help.

Attached Files:

2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

If not A. arboricola then it's likely to be A. actinophylla.

3. Duncan Creamer

Duncan Creamer New Member

I think you might be right! Thanks. Fast reply, thanks.
    I'll look into how to care for it. Any tips on the fungus would still be appreciated.

4. Cearbhaill

Cearbhaill Member

Presence of mushrooms is a sure sign of overly moist potting media.

Make sure the pot drains freely, make sure the potting media is not too dense (I never use commercial mix straight from a bag without adding perlite), and never water unless the soil feels wet when you stick your finger in. How often you need to water depends on many factors including pot size and amount of light the plant receives, but the finger test always works.