Bugs on maple bush

Discussion in 'Maples' started by VerbaVolant, May 8, 2013.

1. VerbaVolant

VerbaVolant New Member

Hello,

I am a novice at gardening and I posted here with the hope to get some answers.
    This is second year for a maple I planted in my backyard and I believe is doing well. I keep a close eye on it and I noticed bugs clustered on tips. Here are some pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What are they?

Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

They are aphids. Usually a nuisance on maples rather than a serious problem.

When they are clustered together like that it is easy to carefully (so as not to damage the young stems and leaves) squish them between your fingers. Other methods of control are available, but be cautious as some sprays have been known to burn maple leaves.

3. Barbara Lloyd

Barbara Lloyd Well-Known Member

Just spray them off with a high powered spray of water. They can't fly and will compost into the dirt. On tender new shoots I use the jet spay setting on a spray bottle. ;))

4. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

I agree : a good spray with the hose will help you get rid of most of them.

I'd finish with a spray of pesticide though, because more are likely to come back if you don't use some.

5. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

I agree that a problem like that needs to be addressed (in my part of the world). Some varieties are not bothered by aphids and some varieties aphids don't bother. On the other hand, I have a dozen varieties in my collection that respond very poorly to an aphid infestation. Sure, it probably will not kill the tree, but they do cause the new growth to fail when they suck from the delicate newly formed stems. Some varieties with thin leaves do not tolerate being covered with their sticky poo.

The hose, tape, or smashing them with your fingers usually help keep the population in check, but it requires daily persistence over the course of a week or two. Followed by a regular checkup.

In addition to above, sometimes I use the plant safe raid around the trunk. This keeps them from climbing back up. It also keeps the ants from pushing them back up there. In my area ants farm aphids on tender new growth and drink their sugar filled poo. The raid keeps both the aphids and the ants away, without having to spray large areas with pesticide.

If you see a steady stream of ants going up the trunk of a Japanese maple, it’s a sure sign of an aphid infestation.

6. 17 Maples

17 Maples Active Member

just a thought but if you are not objecting to spray materials apply a late dormant spray before bud expansion, this may help. Orthene applied now will work the best but you may suffer leaf burn, of course obey manufacturers directions and dress accordingly.

7. VerbaVolant

VerbaVolant New Member

Thank you all for help. Aphids they were and they are now gone. Sent them sailing on gentle water jets... Great advice by the way. I found a setting on the spray that was gentle on the tips but strong enough to send the aphids flying.
    I am very happy with the outcome since I refuse to use any kind of pesticide in my garden.
    Thanks again.

8. Cearbhaill

Cearbhaill Member

Thank you for that!
    So often I see knee jerk reactions to pests and folks spraying plants with all manner of evil concoctions at the very first sign of a bug. I have successfully gardened in two vastly different climates for decades and never use any chemical controls, ever.
    I did (way back in the day before I knew better) and I had way more pest problems then than I do now. Nature knows how to deal with these things best IMO, with only the very occasional help from her stewards.

9. 17 Maples

17 Maples Active Member

Verba

just so you are aware keep watching your maples as aphids have a 7 day or less hatch out period you may have terminated the first brood only. I usually hand pick on the smaller maples and it works fine.

much success !

E ~