Excellent source of JM in the Toronto area

Discussion in 'Maples' started by copperbeech, May 8, 2013.

1. copperbeech

copperbeech Active Member 10 Years

I was at "Plant World" (which is located in Etobicoke Ontario) this past weekend. I was there to look at their perennials but I was thoroughly impressed with this nursery's collection of Japanese Maples. There seemed to be a great variety of medium to large trees. I spoke with one of the owners and he claims that they stock approximately 90 different varieties. And from what I could see the specimens are of very high quality.

I will be there later this week to pick up a "Ruby Stars" and I will post pictures of some their trees.

Last edited: May 9, 2013
  2. Sam268

Sam268 Member

I purchased 2 maples from them last year, great trees but the price are also up there on the medium to large Japanese maples. I would recommend plant world as well.
    congrats to your ruby star.

3. copperbeech

Thanks 'Sam'. I was hoping to plant it this weekend but with a low of 0 C predicted for Monday I will wait till later next week.

If you keep an eye open PLANT WORLD does have some worthwhile sales. For example this past Wednesday was 20% of all nursery stock. I was able to get this discount for my JM purchase.

4. copperbeech

Update: Yesterday I drove 1,5 hours to the town of Beamsville (in Southern Ontario) to visit for the first time. the independent family run nursery VINELAND NURSERIES and picked up two maples (a Ukigumo and a Kamagata). While many of the trees had been put away in the protective hoop houses it was clear, even this late in the season, that they have healthy stock with several hard to find varieties. I look forward to going back next season.

Attached Files: