Propagation: Grafting Japanese maples

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Bodger2, Jun 7, 2012.

1. Bodger2

Bodger2 Member

Is it possible to graft Japanese maples to native North American maples root stock or would it be rejected?

2. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

3. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

That's a good thread. I've since learned that there is indeed some genetic transfer across the graft, although it seems to remain quite local. Also recommended practice is red on red.

As Alain points out, you can't graft Japanese maples on to North American maples with success.

4. Bodger2

Bodger2 Member

Ya I kind of suspected that would be the case. Just thought I'd ask. Still learning about this stuff.

5. banjoboy

banjoboy Active Member

This past winter i grafted a witches broom from Acer circinatum i found while hiking onto Acer palmatum understock. Out of about 8 grafts 3 of them took.

6. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Ha! Well said Banjoboy. A. circinatum (a North American maple for sure) is indeed compatible with palmatum, being section palmata series palmata. IIRC it's the only such from North America. I was of course thinking of various sugar/red/silver maples, which serves me right for making sweeping statements. ;) circinatum cultivars are commonly grafted onto A. palmatum. How about a picture of your WB?

BTW Bodger2, I'm learning too.

7. banjoboy

banjoboy Active Member

Right now my grafts are just a few leaves so maybe photos next year. I think i took some photos of the original tree but i'll have to do some digging to find them. I promise i'll post pictures when i have them.

I also found a circinatum (5 year-ish) seedling that has very odd dense crinkly leaves. I need to grow pacific sprite and see if its different from that cultivar before i get too excited.

8. banjoboy

banjoboy Active Member

here is a photo of the circinatum witches broom i found and grafted. i'll post photos of my grafts after they grow more.

Attached Files:

9. banjoboy

banjoboy Active Member

as promised here are a few photos of some of my vine maple witches broom grafts.

Attached Files: