'Kiku-shidare-zakura' - late weeping chrysanthemum-flowered

Discussion in 'Ornamental Cherries' started by wcutler, Apr 27, 2013.

1. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

It seems we have no page for the 'Kiku-shidare-zakura' cherry. Here is the page from our Ornamental Cherries of Vancouver book.
    Kiku-shidare-zakura.jpg

And Douglas Justice's text from the festival Cherry Cultivars page:
    I was looking to see if we had photos of the sepals, because on my walk today, Erin Younger mentioned how they seemingly always have extra sepals, and she sent me photos. I'll see if she'll post them, else I will.

2. Branching Out

Branching Out Member

These photos were taken at Queen Elizabeth Park early in the season for 'Kiku-shidare-zakura'.

Attached Files:

Acerholic likes this.
  3. Anne Eng

Anne Eng Generous Contributor 10 Years

By happy co-incidence, Kiku-shidare-zakura is opening on VanDusen's Great Lawn at the same time that Yae-beni-shidare is in bloom, so we can compare them, should there be any confusion between the two. At April 15, 2021.

Here are the dangling miniature roses of Yae-beni-shidare.
    20210415_VanDusenGrtLawn_YaeBeni_Eng_4787.jpeg 20210415_VanDusenGrtLawn_YaeBeni_Eng_4790.jpeg 20210415_VanDusenGrtLawn_YaeBeni_Eng_4791.jpeg

Here are the round little pompoms of the Weeping Chrysanthemum Cherry—the two floral symbols of Japan in one botanical entity. "Kiku" is Japanese for chrysanthemum, and "zakura/sakura" for cherry.
    20210415_VanDusenGrtLawn_Kikushidare_Eng_4795.jpeg 20210415_VanDusenGrtLawn_Kikushidare_Eng_4805.jpeg 20210415_VanDusenGrtLawn_Kikushidare_Eng_4792.jpeg 20210415_VanDusenGrtLawn_Kikushidare_Eng_4796.jpeg

Overall tree shape may be similar since they're both "weepers" (shidare) but as VanDusen can prove, the blossoms are quite different.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2021
    Acerholic likes this.
  4. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

And, they are not supposed to be in bloom at the same time, with 'Yae-beni-shidare' supposed to show up in early mid-season, or mid mid-season, and 'Kiku-shidare-zakura' supposed to be in late season.
    These things are so unruly.