Identification: What in the world is this yellow slime?

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by Whattheheck, Apr 26, 2013.

1. Whattheheck

Whattheheck New Member

Hi there,

A few days ago I noticed this BRIGHT yellow slime/goo coming out of my bathroom/adjacent wall. I walked in and saw it and it scared the pants off me. I seriously had no idea what it was. I tried poking it with a piece of news paper and it was goo-like. A few days later it appeared to have a harder exterior. Through reasearch on the net it seems like its SLIME MOLD, but I have not been able to find any info about these occuring indoors? Most resources I have read say it occurs outdoors in gardens and on top of mulch. Anyways, here are the pics, if someone could please tell me what this is (and how to get rid of it!) it would greatly appreciate it.

This is what it looked like the first day I found it:

[​IMG]

And here it is after a day:

[​IMG]

Thanks

2. MycoRob

MycoRob Active Member

that is special. can you break off a chunk of the edge and take a picture of the underside? Is it exactly like the top (slime mold) or does it have gills/pores (fungus)? Also, we need a cross section. If it is hard, just break it in half - is it crumbly into a fine dust (slime mold)?

3. growing4it

growing4it Active Member 10 Years

EEEEEWWWWWW. whatever it is have you investigated your home for water leaks? Try calling a home inspector. That yellow goo does not look good!

4. Whattheheck

Whattheheck New Member

Hi thanks for the replies. I am reluctant to touch it. I have spoken to my landlord and they are having a plumber look for leaks and inspect the bathroom today. It's really grossing me out that it's there. If I could I would just move out of the apartment but I have 3 months left on my lease.

5. MycoRob

MycoRob Active Member

On the plus side, it makes a good conversation piece. And I can't imagine it is harmful. I doubt any pets would be interested in it either.

6. Whattheheck

Whattheheck New Member

If anyone else can please help ID it that would be great. My landlord has no idea who to call about it.

7. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

As MycoRob said, information about texture, interior and lower surface would be needed to try to ID.

cheers,
    frog

8. taresa

taresa New Member

Did you ever figure out what this is? I have in my bathroom. I sprayed with bleach and and come back that dark color the next day

9. Frog

Hi Taresa,

If you can provide some information on it, we may be able to ID it. If you can post a photo that would be great.
    - is it hard or flexible or watery to the touch?
    - can you describe surface texture, eg. if it is watery feeling, is the topside a mass of little balls. If it is hard or flexible, does the underside have gills or pores?
    - if you can break off a chunk what is the interior like? again photo is helpful.

cheers,
    frog

10. Savannah Kutz

Savannah Kutz New Member

I too have fungus like this growing in between my dishwasher and cabinet. It's a spongy like fungus that hold moisture. The texture is hard to explain. This is the 4th time I've removed it. The last time I removed it, spray it with a water/bleach solution, then used cocking to fill in the cracks of where it was growing to block moisture from getting it. It's been about a month and it's grown back already. Last time I removed it, it has tiny worms or maggets living it in. Pls help! I have no clue on what I should do.

Attached Files:

11. Frog

Hi Savannah,

Slime molds are watery to the touch in general, evanescent: They don't hold their shape at all when you push on them lightly. If it is a slime mold then it is harmless and not possible to affect aside from removing the dampness.

If yours has a firmer texture, not watery, it is likely something else, probably a fungus.
    • If it is possible to dry out the area, that may prevent growth of the fruiting body, but the body of the fungus may remain in the wall.
    • If it is not possible to dry out the area, you could try changing the ph of the area: Make it a bit more or a bit less acidic, eg. spray with vinegar or coat with baking soda. I can't promise success, it depends on how flexible or not this particular species is around acidity level tolerance.
    • If you can bring it to a local mushroom club/expert, an ID might help towards getting rid of it and/or finding out what it is doing, eg. whether or not it is a wood decayer. Missouri Mycological Society
    • Speaking with an expert at your local horticultural centre about the pros and cons of fungicides may be useful: I'm not suggesting this because of safety issues around the location, and the low rate of success, but may be worth a conversation.
    I hope something there is useful to you,
    cheers,
    frog

12. Durgan

Durgan Contributor 10 Years