Camelia yellow leaves

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by bux, Apr 10, 2013.

1. bux

bux Member

I transplanted a camelia about 2 years ago. It was healthy upon transplanting in the ground. The leaves are quite yellow. It has not flowered. There is some new growth out of the base area which is supporting green leaves. Apart from the yellow color the leaves are healthy looking. Any help would be appreciated. The plant gets decent drainage and has full half day sun.

2. Charlie the cat

Charlie the cat New Member

Try about a tablespoon of fritted trace elements in a watering can of warmish water (to help dissolve the powder) and pour around the root base. Chances are the iron in the soil is depleted and that prevents the plant from absorbing moisture. The yellow will disappear in a few days.

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Iron deficiency in the usually acidic soils of this region would not be the first expectation. And if iron deficiency is determined to be the problem iron is what should be applied, and not a product containing an assortment of trace elements.

The common cause of poor leaf color here is nitrogen deficiency.

4. bux

bux Member

Thanks Charles and Ron, that gives me a starting point

5. Ron B

If it was mine I'd mulch it and fertilize it, per label directions, see if there is an improvement. Repeated applications might be necessary. If the aspect is too bright for it it might still have poor color, even with fertilization. Shaded parts of the foliage greening up nicely, while the outermost surfaces remained yellowish could point to this.

6. bux

bux Member

image.jpg

Here is a picture of the camellia. All the research that I've done points to iron chlorosis leaving leaves yellow with green veins. These leave are yellow right through. Any other ideas

7. Ron B

Did you put anything on it that might have been alkaline, such as rose fertilizer?

8. bux

bux Member

Funny you mention roses Ron, when I bought the property the camellia is currently on, the previous owners had roses there. I ripped out the roses and transplanted the camellia where the roses were. Although i dont know if it was used, Could the residual use of a rose fertilizer in that soil be the culprit?