Windmill Palm yellowing leaves help

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by zenshack, Apr 10, 2013.

1. zenshack

zenshack Active Member

10 days ago I planted a windmill palm in my yard and since then almost all the fronds have yellowed and many have brown discoloration on the tips. I know this can be a sign of many things and need some advice.

The palm was bought at a nursury were it had been in a pot it's entire life. It is approx 2' tall with 6 fronds.

I planted it in the high point of my yard so drainage shouldn't be an issue, though because the rootball was so big I had to dig 6" into the hard pan under my soil to get it level with my garden so perhaps this is the issue. I mixed good garden soil with it and even threw in a bit of bonemeal which I do with everything.

Also the palm was severely rootbound. Took two of us to get it out of the pot and the root ball held the shape of the pot. I tried to open the roots with my fingers but they were rock hard so I left it.

I am wondering if I should leave it as the yellowing/browning leaves are are normal reaction for a plam coming out of a pot or should I dig it out (ugh) to either open up the roots and/or set it higher?

Or maybe I planted it a bit early in the year? Easter weekend when we planted it we had that beautiful 20+ degree weather but since then it has dropped to 6-10 degrees and rained a lot.

Dunno? Help!

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

If amended planting hole is collecting water that may be the problem. Otherwise, your palm may need some nitrogen fertilizer. Never amend planting hole back-fill when planting large-growing, long-lived plants such as trees, shrubs and large perennials. If there is poor soil present - that the specific kinds of plants you have chosen are not adapted to - you need to excavate and replace the entire planting area, or bring in better soil, dump it on top of the existing, unsatisfactory soil and plant in that - without combining the two layers of soil.

On many soils here windmill palms need regular fertilization and watering to look their best. Although people like to plant them all over the place a moist, quiet woodland ravine might really be the prime spot.

3. pmurphy

pmurphy Contributor 10 Years

I recommend contacting the Pacific Northwest Palm & Exotic Plant Society, very helpful and knowledgable
    http://www.hardypalm.com/mentor.php

4. zenshack

zenshack Active Member

Thanks for your replies and advice.

I will try a little fertilizer first and hope that improves things.

Regarding the backfill; I mixed the amender with the old soil before backfilling. Though I know this is not highly reccomended but I have not had a problem with any of my numerous trees/ shrubs yet so didn't think it was a huge no-no.

Thanks again