Identification: Small green leaves, hanging plant.

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Shawnatshawn, Mar 31, 2013.

1. Shawnatshawn

Shawnatshawn New Member

Ok so I have attached a picture, but can take more. As for the scale of this, I would say it is about the size of one and a half soccer balls including the pot. I picked this plant up from Walmart, and just want to provide it with te best care possible. The only tag on it said tropical hanging plant, I believe. It is growing and seems to be doing better outside... But it is still losing leaves, whenever lightly touched or during watering. I have been watering often... Is that the problem? Well I just don't know, not without knowing what kind it is :( please help!

The leaves appear to grow in two and threes... And I will take more pictures if that is deemed nessacary. Just let me know! Thank you so much for your help!

This picture is upside down... Not sure how to change that.... On my iPhone.

http://imgur.com/ksoaZOh.jpg

Yeah this worked... Don't know why it flips my pictures on here... Thanks everyone

Really hoping one of you can help me out in this identification - happy Easter every bunny.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2013
  2. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Aeschynanthus, Lipstick Plant...?
    You say you have the plant outside...what is the temperature? Might be a tad bit chilly for it yet.
    Also looks like location is in full sun.
    Perhaps your plant would like to come back inside the house.

3. Shawnatshawn

Shawnatshawn New Member

If that is what it is, I will be absolutely thrilled! Doing some research now, thanks! Ill get back to you on that.

It has been no colder than about 50 degrees at night and about 70 degrees in the day - see, I had it inside up until two days ago, wanted to see if it preferred being outside, but still the same issue with leaves falling... I will be bringing it in...

4. togata57

Am assuming that plant was not in bloom when you got it nor has it been since. ? Blooms would be helpful in ID.

If it IS a L.P., it is a gesneriad, related to African violets and Episcia...I have one of the latter, and I know it to be quite persnickety in terms of moisture and light. AND temperature.

Whoa! Wish it would be 70 here.

Whatever the plant, find a good spot for it and LEAVE it there. Esp. with a new one---poor thing has already survived Wal-Mart. Needs to recuperate, relax, and find some consistency in life. As do we all.

5. Shawnatshawn

Shawnatshawn New Member

Can I cut the hanging parts off, (without repotting) and simply let it be along side my violets? It does it need to be in a hanging pot? I think I have a good place to leave it, either way. I mean cut the pot NOT the plant!!!***

Okay and no, not in bloom. My wife thought it was pretty, so we bought it about a week and a half ago.

As for the weather - Gresham, Oregon seems to be having a nice start to spring.

6. togata57

Yes, it is a nice-looking plant, and yes, it does have a trailing habit, so being in a hanging pot allows it to do its trailing thing.

Please do NOT hack it about! Reasons against:
    1. Would add yet more stress to its life. Might need to be judiciously trimmed in future, but not right now.
    2. It is, as noted, a trailing plant, so it would just keep on doing it anyhow.

Well, temp did get up to almost 60 today...but wet snow maybe tomorrow. At least the maple-syrup makers are thrilled with nights below freezing and days above. Me, not so much. Have some daffs nearly almost in bloom. One has hope.

Ah. Sorry to have jumped the gun on my response...yeah, sure, you could cut the hanger parts off. Can't tell from photo, but the hanger and pot may be 2 distinct pieces: if so, you can remove the hanger from the pot so that it can be reused in future (possibly by children of this plant) when its current occupant relocates.

7. Shawnatshawn

Shawnatshawn New Member

I was not referring to the plant, but the pot it is in - I would never hack a plant! So I think I will let it spend one more day outside, while the weather is nice - and tomorrow I will be finding a good permanent home for it. Research is needed before I do that. I have a lot of plants and they all seem to love it here! Well, with the exception of one of my tulips and another plant, which my wife accidentally killed :( (would never let her know how sad that made me). I think we do have a lipstick plant and that is exciting! So pretty! Thank you for all your insight!!!

8. togata57

See last paragraph of post #13, above. Just had a reflex reaction after NOT READING CAREFULLY, something for which I should be slapped.

Hope that it IS in fact a Aeschynanthus---fear not, if it is something else our intrepid and vastly knowledgeable membership will so inform!---and that it will have a long and healthy life. And bloom for you, too. Good luck to you both, and Happy Springtime!

9. carol222

carol222 Member

It looks more like a codonanthe to me. Also a gesneriad. You will know as soon as it blooms.

10. Shawnatshawn

Shawnatshawn New Member

Hey carol, thanks for your reply! I did a little research and I must say, this plant has a striking resemblance to a codonanthe devosiana! So I guess only time will tell, and I promise to update you all as soon as it blooms. Thank you :)