Costa Rica ravine plant, quite strange

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Grooonx7, Apr 4, 2013.

1. Grooonx7

Grooonx7 Active Member

In Costa Rica in October 2010 I photographed these in a ravine in Matinilla, above Salitral, above Santa Ana. The area was wet and shaded, at about 4,000 feet elevation. This is a heavily human-disturbed forest in which tropical species mix with many imported plants.

These strange-looking plants were common at the time, and I thought I'd easily be able to identify them, but I never have.

Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. robyn

robyn Active Member 10 Years

3. Andrey Zharkikh

Andrey Zharkikh Well-Known Member 10 Years

Zingiber spectabilis looks quite similar.

4. Grooonx7

Grooonx7 Active Member

Wow! Thank you both! I'd be happy just knowing its genus and understanding it's a ginger.

However, following your suggestions, I looked at Z. zerumber per the link, and immediately I was struck by that one being too uniformly tapering or conical; when I looked at a picture of Z. spectabilis, I knew that was the one (unless it has an identical twin).

Thank you both very much, again. Excellent.

5. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

It looks like the correct spelling is Zingiber spectabile.

IPNI
    GRIN

For information, it might be worthwhile to search both names.

6. Grooonx7

Grooonx7 Active Member

I really appreciate all your combined efforts. I'll use the Zingiber spectabile name and Beehive Ginger, "until I know better". :-)

I've located several more photos which show flowers and habitat. These plants were never planted by human hands, but would much more probably have long ago escaped from gardens miles away. The location in which I photographed these plants is in the mountains, all Spanish-speaking Tico and is a few miles from any real tourism. However, the animals and plants are a surviving mix representing a battered ecosystem. You see the worst and the best, like a microcosm of world society.