Identification: Can someone identify this mushroom

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by dogteeth1000, Mar 29, 2013.

1. dogteeth1000

dogteeth1000 New Member

2. MycoRob

MycoRob Active Member

these are in the Coprinus family. possibly Coprinellus micaceus.

3. dogteeth1000

dogteeth1000 New Member

thankyou very much, so they are not "Magic" mushrooms??

4. MycoRob

MycoRob Active Member

this is so far off from a 'magic' mushroom that i kindly request, for your own safety, that you not eat any mushroom.

5. MycoRob

MycoRob Active Member

Erowid is a well known internet resource for people looking for 'those kinds' of mushrooms.

6. Joel Bolete

Joel Bolete Active Member

MycoRob, I got a really good chuckle out of this comment. Been a while since I checked into the site this year.

The mushroom you are holding would have left a black staining on your hands from the contact with the gills, also if you pressured the cap and stem the same will occur. This gives this specie of fungi the nickname 'inky cap.' They are not magical, they are in fact poisonous if ingested with alcohol before or hours after ingesting. Has been known to be used by scholars as a source of ink, and by doctors as a treatment for alcoholics.

They have been known to cause indigestion, gastrical upset. I have eaten them on a few occasions and did not get ill. thought they were good in a soup medley.

But yes, if you asked if these were magical, please for your own safety, dont eat any mushrooms. lol.