western trillium

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwest Native Plants' started by pmurphy, Mar 20, 2013.

1. pmurphy

pmurphy Contributor 10 Years

Question 1)
    I have a "patch" of western trillium growing in my front garden that is getting quite dense (several dozen flowering plants) and I would like to try and thin or move them (which could prove challenging). When is the best time to do so - spring, fall or winter?
    There are also a lot of small seedling but I should be able to carefully remove these.

Question 2)
    If I am not mistaken the western trillium is protected but these have been with me since the early 70's and were started by one plant rescued from where a subdivision now stands in Coquitlam. If I wanted to find new "homes" for the seedlings - or mature plants - can I give away or sell them? If not, what can I do with them?

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hi,

For the second part, they might be something the Garden is interested in acquiring. I'll check with the curator of the North American Gardens, but he may not be in until next week.

Also, they are no longer protected. The British Columbia act that protected trilliums, dogwoods and hmmm... something else was rescinded when there was a push for removing regulations during Gordon Campbell's time as premier.

3. pmurphy

Thank you Daniel.
    I really would like to thin them out a bit but am just not sure the right time of year - obviously not now as they are about 2 - 3" high right now and growing fast.
    However I will probably start removing some of the seedling before they are covered by the mature plants.

FYI, the other protected plant was the rhododemdrum

4. Fine ocean parker

Fine ocean parker Active Member

Pmurpry, I would be more than willing to releave you of some of your trilliums. I started a woodland garden last spring and would love to start a patch there. let me know I'm in vancouver often.
    Mike

5. Tony Maniezzo

Tony Maniezzo Active Member

the botanical garden would happily take any seedlings that you would like to donate. I have successfully transplanted and divided plants at this time in our Native garden.

6. pmurphy

I will be removing the seedling in the next week or so - before the mature plants cover them - so I can let you know what I will have available then. FYI, the seedling are only a couple of inches high and can take up to seven years to start flowering.
    Pam

7. pmurphy

Hello Tony,
    I will most likely be keeping the majority of the mature plants - just spreading them around - but there are quite a few seedlings that I should be able to remove without issue. I will be doing this in the next week or so and will let you know what is available.
    And if I get brave, I will try seperating some of the mature plants....I have been babying them for a long time :)
    I have also noticed over the past few years that the plants are not getting as tall but they are still very robust. I do not know if this is because they are getting more light (the rose bush has been dying back so they are not as shaded) or because they are too crowded.
    Pam

8. Tony Maniezzo

its hard to say Pam, it could be both of those issues....good luck with the dividing and don't fear the plants should do fine....

9. Tony Maniezzo

thank-you, plants can be dropped off at the botanical garden, campbell building reception, someone will take care of them from there....thanks again tony

10. Tony Maniezzo

thank-you Pam the trilliums look great, i will plant them in their new home this morning.

11. pmurphy

That's great Tony!
    I did have another pot of seedings but unfortunately something got them the night before. :(

I will have to come visit them one of these days as I have never been to the gardens.
    Pam

12. Tony Maniezzo

13. pmurphy

Will do....let me know what days you are there - I only have weekends off but we do have some long weekends coming up.

14. Tony Maniezzo

i guess that will be a bit of a problem, i'm only here mon. to fri.

15. pmurphy

That's ok, but I will be coming down one of these days to visit the garden.