Identification: Bamboo-Basil love child

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by kktoronto, Mar 20, 2013.

1. kktoronto

kktoronto New Member

Hello friends - please excuse my amateur eyes, but I don't know if I should be wishing for good luck or breaking out the tomato sauce! This one has me stumped!

Attached Files:

2. mrsubjunctive

mrsubjunctive Active Member

Under no circumstances should you eat this.

It's most likely a Dieffenbachia. (I'm about 85% certain.)

3. kktoronto

kktoronto New Member

I'm so grateful that you know the answer! (and hope to impress you by using subjunctive!) Thanks so very much - the stem is indeed a dead-ringer, but with that small leaf I'd never have guessed it.

Best wishes,
    Kevin

4. Tom Hulse

Tom Hulse Active Member 10 Years

The small leaves are probably from too-low light. If you give it more light, you'll also see a lot better leaf color variations. :)

5. kktoronto

kktoronto New Member

Thanks so much! The house doesn't get enormous amounts of light - pothos and ivy do well, philos by the window also. Violets look beauitiful and growing wildly but haven't bloomed in over 8 months! This plant is in the same room, and has looked pretty pokey like this for years. Would love to know how to get it to really flourish, and hopefully now that I know what it actually is...!!

6. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Light! Lots and lots of light. If you move it over to where your Philos are flourishing, you'll see it perk right up (they're from the same jungles). It may or may not also need a repot - with that many stems, it's likely to be root bound. Generally, gently separating some of the canes and repotting will also help it.

7. kktoronto

kktoronto New Member

Will try ths - thanks so much for your assistance!