freak snow storm

Discussion in 'Maples' started by emery, Mar 12, 2013.

1. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Some of you may be experiencing the strange conditions we're having, but it is certainly something that has never been seen in March before. Yesterday we had heavy freezing rain all day, it covered everything with a thick layer of ice; combined with the wind it caused some interesting effects like the horizontal hazel catkins in the picture.

Then yesterday afternoon it began to snow. It's still snowing. We've had about 45 cm in the flat, more in drifts of course. It's pretty staggering, I've never seen that much here much less in March. The snow is very light and powdery, but it's managed to build up on top of the ice and really weigh things down. The eucalyptus that's touching the ground to the right of the picture is a tall tree normally. Many evergreen plants and trees are likely to be badly damaged.

You can just make out the red of A. x conspicuum 'Phoenix' in the center of both pictures.

For the maples, I anticipated trouble and sprayed everything in ground with copper this past WE. The pots are mostly inside. Some of the forms are almost leafing out, but I don't think any buds have completely broken yet. So it's "wait and see" for now.

Attached Files:

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Nasty! Escaped the worst of it here, only a centimetre or two of snow (and that nearly all gone now), but cold.

3. bigjohn33

bigjohn33 Active Member

I hope you Will not suffer too much damage

4. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Thanks, and glad to see you guys have been spared the worst.

The snow is still thick, but has by now mostly melted off branches. There has been some breakage in the maples, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

I've talked to a lot of people since the storm and the consensus is: the most snow from a single storm, in any season. Truly bizarre. Roll on spring...

-E