Constant Soil Issues

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by pirhan, Mar 3, 2013.

1. pirhan

pirhan Active Member

For years now I've had issues with my indoor plants' soil. I've tried different brands, mixing my own, etc. and I always get the same thing:
    - Either stays soggy or dries out and pulls away from the pot
    - Gets white mold
    - Fungus gnats

I've added pictures of some grapefruit seedlings and my sad aloha lily. My plants, seem stunted, even though they've had a grow light (with timer) on them during the winter. I just fertilized them (with seaweed fertilizer) about two weeks ago and again last night.

What's going on with the soil? I've done plastic pots, terra cotta pots, and more soil combinations than I care to think about. Why is it either soggy or a brick? I water once a week. I'm neutral about the white mold, it's unsightly and I prefer not to have it, but if it's not harming the plants I can live with it.

All plants are in the same location in my loft where they get ample indirect light in the morning and then an hour or so full light in the afternoon. Unfortunately I don't have many options for placement as my cat, the White Terror, will eat/knock anything that she can get her paws on.

Attached Files:

2. Alexisstg

Alexisstg New Member

I have had similar issues, but recently I bought Expand'n Gro earth from Miracle Gro and got quite good results as far as the soil texture is concerned. A plus, this soil is sold dry, so it can be stored for a long time. It absorbs water quite readily too. EDIT: On the downside, this soil is rather costly.

However I still get this white moss popping out a while after every watering. I have not found anything to do against this yet.

3. pirhan

pirhan Active Member

Thanks for the soil name. I've used coir before, but never in a commercial mix. I found out what the bag looks like and will make note next time I'm in a garden centre. Cost doesn't matter that much, I spend a lot on my plants and more than needed trying to sort out the soil issue.

I found chamomile tea kills the mold, but I wasn't sure if it was killing the bacteria and mycorrhiza in the soil that helps the roots, so I stopped. I was hoping there was a way to prevent it from starting.

4. Alexisstg

Alexisstg New Member

I said nothing worked against the moss, but I just remembered one thing that had an effet. While fighting off a scales infestation, I sprayed rubbing alcohol on some plants. The drops falling on the soil's surface attacked the fungi, making it become darker and far less visible. But it was in no way a permanent solution, given of course the volatile nature of the alcohol.

I do not know if putting a small layer of sand/rocks on top of the soil might help?