Looking for a book to get started with growing vegetables and fruit

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by DharmaSoldat, Feb 28, 2013.

1. DharmaSoldat

DharmaSoldat New Member

Hi all,

I'm living in the west end of Vancouver, and wanted to try my hand at growing some fruits and vegetables, having come from a culinary background and a thorough respect for local and home grown produce.

I am interested in starting with basil, garlic and tomatoes, however seeing as I have no knowledge of how to grow plants and what's involved, I was wondering if anyone could refer me to a book or books that could give me a thorough introduction while still being relevant to the Pacific Northwest.

I appreciate any help you can offer! :)

2. Barbara Lloyd

Barbara Lloyd Well-Known Member

Dharma. Look for Dr. D. G. Hessayon, book called "The Vegtable Expert". Published by Transworl Publishing, UK. He has a whole series of books for gardeners. barb

3. donnacanadensis

donnacanadensis Member

Hi, Barbara
    I recommend Backyard Bounty: The Complete Guide to Year-Round Organic Gardening in the Pacific Northwest. http://lindagilkeson.ca/books.html I see she is teaching a one day course at UBC Botanical Garden in early May. http://www.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/2013/courses/urbanorganicgardening I am a Master Gardener in Victoria and I've been to several of her presentations and I learned a great deal from her.

Also, you can find lots of excellent advice in West Coast Seeds Catalogue. You should be able to find it at any garden store. It's free!

Good luck!

4. Barbara Lloyd

Barbara Lloyd Well-Known Member

Hello fellow MG
    I'm too old to get down on my hands an knees any more so I content myself with working at our local Master Gardner Clinic here in Anacortes.
    There are also a couple of Gals in the Oakland, CA area that are into intensive home gardens.
    "Ghost town Farm" by Novella Carpenter and something called "Farm City".
    There is alot of infor out there just be careful about their source. ;)) barb

5. Tree Nut

Tree Nut Active Member

The best book on gardening that I've read is "Gardening when it counts" by Steve Solomon. He lived on the west coast before moving to Tasmania, and his methods work.

6. DharmaSoldat

DharmaSoldat New Member

Thank you all for the advice. That course @ UBC looks really awesome, but unfortunately my wife is pregnant and will be due right around when that course is on :)

Perhaps next time, but for now I think I've made my selection.

Have a great day, and thanks again for the pointers.