A quest to preserve a 100 roses in a wood frame

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by Devil, Feb 14, 2013.

1. Devil

Devil New Member

Hello,

[CHEESE ALERT]

I'm a Canadian living in the Philippines and I have embarked on a quest that I need some help for. I have recently finished an anniversary with the love of my life. I gave her a 100 roses, and told her that they will be preserved and then as each anniversary passes, she can make use (or set the rose free) of one rose and joked that I will never have to buy her any flowers again. :/

Now comes the plan to preserve them.
    I have thought of utilizing the expertise of woodworkers who will create a wooden frame with a glass pane to look in. There will also be 99 compartments made with thin wood strips separating each compartment. The bottom of the frame will have a slide-out wooden pane to allow removal of a rose every year.

Here is where I am lost and the real reason why I am here. I am planning to make this an airtight affair to keep the flowers in high preservation. I would like to know if the roses will benefit from of a humidor.

2. addypalmer

addypalmer Active Member

The only way to preserve these roses are to dry them out...it will rot and mold if you keep them humid, you cannot keep a cut rose fresh forever its impossible. Im sorry to say that unless you want a box of potpourri you will have to put a fresh cut rose in this every year or buy plastic.

3. Devil

Devil New Member

No, ofcourse! I'm not trying to preserve the rose itself.. I'm just trying to make sure the dry rose doesn't get into more trouble once 'stored'

4. queenlovegarden

queenlovegarden New Member

Dear kind Devil,
    How sweet
    love the way your beautiful bonding with the love of your life.

so,if your are serious about your idea
    here my suggestion;
    why don't you drop by a good florist nearby where you are staying
    and ask for good advice and help.

All the best :)
    ~Take care

5. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

I don't know much about this, but I think the flowers might become brittle and crack or crumble after time if not preserved in some way. If you do a search about preserving flowers or drying flowers, there is talk of preservative sprays to hold the flowers together.

Yes, checking with a good florist may help or perhaps some online searches about flower drying.

Good luck on the project.

6. Devil

Devil New Member

Thanks guys! Unfortunately, I was too late in removing the flowers from the bouquet and drying them. They gained the white stuff around the flowers and died a very bad death. :/

Looks like I'm going to have to re-flower them next year and then start with this project again. Thanks for all the views and the helpers!

Till next year! :)

7. Margaret

Margaret Active Member 10 Years

Hi.

There are any number of sites on the web which give instructions, some of which are videos of how to.

Good luck with your lovely idea.

Margaret