Have 3 nice ones, almost in my pocket, for 2013

Discussion in 'Maples' started by copperbeech, Feb 2, 2013.

1. copperbeech

copperbeech Active Member 10 Years

Since planting my first JM (Acer shirasawanum 'Aureum') this past November I had been doing lots of on-line searching hoping to find some special but small/very slow growing JM for our correspondingly small residential property.

This past week I got confirmation of availability of the final 3 maples I will ever plant (on this property):

• 2 Olsen's Frosted Strawberry
    • a Brandt's Dwarf
    • a Filigree (green)

Although the OFS and the BD are very small specimens it is nice to know that I have secured 'supply' for this gardening season.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
  2. rufretic

rufretic Active Member

Nice picks! I'm very excited about the spring as well. My order for spring so far is:

(2) 5 gallon AP Olsens frosted strawberry
    15 gallon AS Aureum
    15 gallon AP Shin deshojo
    15 gallon AP Bonfire
    10 gallon AS Jordan

I'd still like to add a Japonicum, O'isami, Fairy lights or Attari.

If I can afford it, I'll add one dissectum as well. Filgree is my #1 choice. I think it is by far the best green dissectum.

This is an addicting hobby, I bet you won't stop yet even if you are limited on space. You'll love this next group so much you'll just have to have more! You will find a way to fit them lol.

3. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

Very cool!

copperbeech, I'm glad to see that what seemed like an impossible task a couple months ago (given your location, ect) you managed to get a hold of some very nice cultivars.

rufretic, I am excited to see pics of your 10 and 15 gallon specimens. They will defiantly add a great impact in the landscape. Great find! The investment is worth it when you see how much character and beauty is in a tree that size. The impact in the landscape alone is worth it!

A few here and there is the way to go in my opinion. You have to wait a little longer to build your collection, but you don't have to wait forever for the little ones to grow up. For me building a collection slower of larger plants is better than having a huge collection of little plants. (not knocking small plants, it's a great way to observe the many varieties, but they are harder to landscape with and harder to keep up with their needs for constant attention.)

4. copperbeech

JT1 et al...thank you for pictures, information and encouragement. There is no doubt that this forum has been the major impetus in my acquisition of JM.

5. copperbeech

I am so envious of you being able to secure such seemingly large OFS (5 gallon)! I have been warned that mine will be very small (1 gallon pot).

I do know exactly what you mean but I can tell you that I really don't have room for those 3 or 4 that I have listed above let alone any more!

(I have quickly and steadily removed grass lawn the past 4 years to make way for perennial gardens. As well too much of my garden variety ;) residential property is in significant shade. Between you and I I would love to move if only to have the opportunity to have a larger property to allow me to indulge my love of perennial and now JM gardening. But my much better half is not at all bitten with the gardening bug so this is a no go for the foreseeable future).

6. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

If I ever move, my yard will look like the moon. Craters everywhere! With the exception of the very common, I am taking it all with me! But I have fallen in love with our home, so it makes it hard to move.

I won my better half over by building the patio / outdoor living space. Sure at first, they just don't understand it. (I say) "Doesn’t that look great!", they respond with a… "I guess so?" “What are you going to do with all these trees†“Isn’t one enough?" “They all look the same to me..I don’t get it?â€

But, then invite their friends over for dinner on the patio. When the friends start raving about the garden, suddenly the better half takes interest. Before you know it, they will want to take a ride to the nursery to help pick out the next addition to the garden.

I knew she was hooked when she took my J. D Vertrees, Japanese Maples book on a trip. I missed the book while she was gone, but I knew it was for a very good cause.

I can't say it's a fool proof method. But it's what worked for me.

Now my wife is very involved in "our garden".

7. maplesandpaws

maplesandpaws Active Member

Sounds awesome! I have to ask though, where you were able to find your 5g Olsen's? I really, REALLY want one about this size, and while I'm waiting for the local nurseries to get back to me as to whether or not they can get one, I'm not having much luck when I look online either... :(

I concur on Filigree, mine's pretty tiny - maybe 18" tall with minimal branching - but I simply LOVE this cultivar. I'm even half tempted to try to find a large 5g to plant out as well. :)

8. copperbeech

Don't get me wrong as my wonderful wife does garden but it would be almost impossible for a mate to be as rabid a gardener as I have become these past 5 years. I don't get too many complaints as to the time and monies I spend on this hobby.

9. copperbeech

Good to hear that this JM is a favourite of yours 'mapleandpaws'. And it is this particular JM that I have on reserve that is in fact quite a large specimen.....just waiting for me to pick it up this May. (I saw the bare bones this past late December...it was over 3 feet tall and well branched).

10. prairiestyle

prairiestyle Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Here are two: Davidsans has some 5 gallons available and Essence of the Tree has some "size 4" (7 gallon) trees available.

11. copperbeech

Lucky you Americans. After lots of hunting I would bet there is no such size available for any OFS in Ontario Canada.

12. copperbeech

UPDATE

Here are the 3 in question i.e. Brandt's Dwarf, Olsen Frosted Strawberry (both quite small, 2 feet in height and delicate) and then the much larger green filigree (4.5 feet)

Attached Files:

13. copperbeech

I will wait a couple of more weeks, till the chance of overnight frost is gone, to plant the more delicate 2 maples. But I do plan to put the much larger more established "Filigree" into the ground tomorrow. As you can see in the picture this maple is bound in the wooden box held together with metal strapping. Does one put it all in the hole and then snip the metal collar, remove the sides...but then the base is left in the hole under the root ball. I am confused...what is the best way to plant this tree?

14. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

You want to take the tree out of the box before placing the tree in the ground.