Identification: Spathiphyllum sp.

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by jwarndt, Oct 25, 2003.

1. jwarndt

jwarndt Member

Plant ID?

Hello, I was given this plant last June when I was in the hospital. I brought it home and have trie d to give it as much light as posible, (not an easy fete in my tiny studio) It keeps sprouting flowers , a good sign I guess, but I do not know how much water to give it, or where to cut off the dead stalks. Species identificaton would be greatly appreciated so I could look up info on its care.
    Thank you.
    j.w. arndt

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

3. jwarndt

jwarndt Member

one more try...

Hmmmmmmmmm..... I will make one more attempt to attach those jpegs. This time I will sit there till I see something, then hit "all done." maybe i just didn't wait long enough...
    thank you for your patience.
    Hey, I think it will work this time!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attached Files:

4. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

Looks like a type of Spathiphyllum or Peace lily. Normal care for these is bright filtered down to fairly low light tolerance although it looks like yours is variegated which tends to prefer more light to retain the leaf coloring. Even moisture is best.

5. schwatka

schwatka Member

With sharp scissors cut the dead flower stalks back to the base. Do not pull them out, this can damage the roots of the plant. Your plant is growing towards the light. Rotate your pot a quarter turn every time you water it and you will get a full, lush, round plant.