Identification: Please help me identify

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by JudyShannon727, Dec 24, 2012.

1. JudyShannon727

JudyShannon727 Member

I had this plant for a number of years. Supposedly a mini-jade.
    Still having a problem identifying this plant. It occasionally has a small yellow star-like flower.
    It also has small mini hairs on the leaves and very shallow roots and long white hairs along the stems and branches.
    If someone can tell me what this is that would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 24, 2012
  2. JudyShannon727

JudyShannon727 Member

yes, those are push pins in the pictures holding up the branches - also for scale

3. Barbara Lloyd

Barbara Lloyd Well-Known Member

Judy, I believe you do have a Jade Plant "Crassula ovata", but I have no idea which one. Those leggy branches can be cut off and re-started on shorter stems. Someone with more knowledge will speak up. Merry Christmas

4. Dave-Florida

Dave-Florida Active Member

I think Barbara Lloyd has it figured out. I wish I could visually connect this plant to one of several bonsai I've seen, but a quick look at Google Images turns up lots of results for "crassula bonsai"

5. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Crassula ovata does not seem to match the OP's description of the plant. Jade has white to pink flowers and its leaves are not hairy.

6. Dave-Florida

Good observation.

7. cagreene

cagreene Active Member

please do not cut the long branches!! lol!! as a bonsai, cascading, and semi cascading branches are EXTREMELY desirable!!! the pot must be placed where the branches can freely reach below the pot, and table it sits on....if you are not going for a bonsai effect, please pass this beautiful tree along to someone who will enjoy it! love the push-pins!

8. JudyShannon727

JudyShannon727 Member

This is my mom's sample. Note the fuzzy leaves and long hair-things from stems.I took it outside to take pics - light was better.

Attached Files:

9. JudyShannon727

JudyShannon727 Member

The hairs did not show up well on original two pics as (i guess) it lives on my desk at work (artificial lighting), well my mom's gets natural light.

10. JudyShannon727

JudyShannon727 Member

Her sample is also a lot older than mine - which is just a cutting - piece fell off

11. Dave-Florida

The hairs are hairs (trichomes if you want to be technical) and the long things growing from the stems must be roots.

In the crassula family, I can't think of fuzzy Crassula or Sedum. Echeveria species are fuzzy, but I don't think they look like your plant.

12. Junglekeeper

Might be Aichryson laxum.

13. Dave-Florida

Looks like an excellent guess. From the Canary Islands.

14. JudyShannon727

JudyShannon727 Member

I think we are getting closer. Looks like mine has thicker leaves though - more jade like. flower colour and leaf shape are right though. Do they have wood-ish like stems?

15. JudyShannon727

JudyShannon727 Member

Said on one website that it dies after flowering. Note the case with mine. but it does take a long time to flower - upwards five to seven years.

16. JudyShannon727

JudyShannon727 Member

Does anyone think it might be a Aichryson Domesticum?

17. Junglekeeper

18. JudyShannon727

JudyShannon727 Member

I think it might be Aichryson domesticum but I am probably totally wrong. The above mentioned website does not say much about trichomes (hairs on stems - on my 2nd set of pics). I believe and please correct me if am wrong on anything - the laxum is larger than the domesticum(hybrid???)

Last edited: Jan 1, 2013
  19. Christopher Howard

Christopher Howard Active Member

When you say that it is growing under artificial light at your work, what light do you mean? Do you have a light over it? And if so, what kind of bulb is it? or do you mean that it is growing under the lights that are at your work?

I ask because if your plant isn't getting enough sun, maybe that is what makes your plant so leggy. In that case, your plant would be stretching for light, and if that is the case then maybe you need to imagine that plant without the long stems.

There is an Echeveria at my physical therapist's office which does not receive any light, so it keeps growing a long stem reaching for light, when it should be in the sun and in a tight rosette.

Anyway, the Aichryson domesticum does look similar. I hope you can get some closure with this soon. Good luck. Pretty plant.

20. Junglekeeper

Other sources say some but not all plants die after flowering.

The article's three pictures for A. x domesticum look quite different so it brings into question whether they are all of the plant in question, which in turn questions the accuracy of the entire article. That aside, note the differences in the flowers of the two plants. The one for A. laxum is the one I would refer to as star-shaped.

Eric, an administrator of these forums, has one of these plants. (See the thread Identification: - Help with identifying a plant with smelly leaves | UBC Botanical Garden Forums.) He may know more about it. You may want to PM him and ask him to join the discussion.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2015
  21. Christopher Howard

Christopher Howard Active Member

Also, if the plant isn't in perfect conditions, maybe it won't flower.

22. JudyShannon727

JudyShannon727 Member

The one at work overhead florescent lighting about afoot from plant and another one on the ceiling. Mom's has south facing natural light and it was also kicked outside during the hot summer.

23. JudyShannon727

JudyShannon727 Member

I just sent him (Eric - administraor) a line asking him to have a look at my thread and tell me what he thinks. THANKS!!!

24. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hey, sorry, I was out of town for the holidays and did not take a computer. Unfortunately, I can't add much to the conversation anyway. I was given a piece of stem and the name later. I have grown several starts of the plant from this piece. It roots so easily. "Laxum" means loose--loose leaved or flowered, so the leggy appearance is probably characteristic. Mine gets fuller in summer when given enough water and light, but has always shown some stem. I never did any research on the plant though, so really don't know much about them.

25. Junglekeeper

Another name for A. domesticum, one possibly more up-to-date, is Aichryson x aizoides var. domesticum.

Here is a botanical description of A. laxum (Source):
    @Eric,
    If the description above is accurate, your plant is not A. laxum because of its smell.