Identification: Please help me identify these "rare for my area" dwarf hemlocks

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by JT1, Dec 6, 2012.

1. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

Out of my collection, there are some evergreens that I don't know what they are and I hope you can help me Identify.

All were bought from a very old grower in the historic nursery area of Lake County OH. This grower has very old and rare stuff. The problem is the fantastic propagator speaks little English (who is now the only one left) and the owner is not involved and never was good at being organized, let alone labeling things. The propagator told me they are very old, special, and slow growing. He said some were the first trees he propagated when he started 27 years ago.

(Pictures taken this morning)

This hemlock has a pyramid form with very short and congested dark green needles. It's 2.75' tall. (pic 1 form, pic 2 needles)

The next hemlock has a spreading open form. Small light green needles. It's over 4' tall and 3' wide. (pic 3 form, pic 4 needles)

The last hemlock is upright, open, spreading, and kind of odd. But I think it's cool. The branches and trunk are loaded with short, congested needles. (pic 5 form, pic 6 needles)

Thanks for your help with identifying any of the 3 hemlocks!

Attached Files:

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Get him to say everything in his native language, record it, and then find someone who can translate.

3. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Yes, there might even be someone on the forums willing to do so.

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Assorted Canadian hemlocks, perhaps all reconizable as familiar cultivars seen in garden centers stocking dwarf conifers. Try the GardenWeb Conifers forum, you might get more or less reliable names there without much difficulty. Do follow up on any suggestions made with your own checking and research.

5. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

Michael and Daniel,

Thank you both! Great idea. I have a digital recorder and I will record him next spring.

Ron,

Thanks for your help! I will give that a try to see what I can find out.

6. tsugajunkie

tsugajunkie Active Member

If he knows the cultivar name, that would be in English in most cases.

tj