Has anyone raised lacewings?

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by Kada, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Kada

Kada Active Member 10 Years

I am looking to raise and keep constant stock of lacewings for serious spidermite damage on a few species of trees and shrubs at my farm. I can get them through mail but not consistently so want to raise them myself as a treatment and also as a prevention method.

Has anyone tried raising them? the bits i have been reading note diet formulas but always seem to mention XX generations and die off. Would feeding live food work for this? i also read they like eating aphids for cultures. but would live flightless fruit flies and/or hatching crickets work? they are easy for me to keep stock, aphids not so much.

Thanks for any suggestions.

2. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

3. Kada

Kada Active Member 10 Years

Thanks. I have considered them as well, and prefer them as they dont seem to disperse so much. But the problem is i cant find them locally, need to import. i am willing to do that and go through all the paperwork needed to import it legally, but i couldn't do that weekly, so I will still need to raise them myself.

Do you have any tips or tricks on non-live diet for either lacewing or spider mite?

I have read some spider mites will hibernate. would it be possible to refrigerate eggs or even mites to preserve for later use?

I hope to do weekly or bi-weekly applications on an area about 1 acre in size all tallied together. i need so many now as it is dry season and time for annual crops like greens, and spider mites are destroying them right now. so much so i am going to replant the entire crop and compost whats growing now. But i am not going to plant it until i have cultures running and can secure the crops through harvest.

Thanks again :)