Seed Germination

Discussion in 'Maples' started by BigBudz, Nov 27, 2012.

1. BigBudz

BigBudz Active Member

Hello, My name is Travis Owens, I have Just started my Seed stratification. First off, Last year i stratified few hundred maple seeds from ebay, as well red,white dogwoods, and magnolias No luck what so ever. i didnt throw the seeds out i left them in pots outside to go again this winter... So this fall i found 3 big japaneses blood good seeds and got my hands on some fresh seeds probly a few 1000s i took. so i have them in the fridge they have been in there for a month already. My question is Will i have better luck getting this seeds to Germinate in the Fridge or should i place them in the zipplock bag outside in my non insluated shed... so they can be exposed to the real cold. im from southern ontario canada so im zone 5. please help !! i really really want to see my japaneses maples grow!..

Please leave your commments, previous seed growth experiance thanks!!

2. fortyonenorth

fortyonenorth Member

Hi Travis,

Can you tell us a little more about how you're stratifying your seeds?

Generally, in your part of the world, either in the refrigerator or out of doors should be fine - though the fridge offers a more predictable environment.

First, it's recommended practice to pre-soak the seeds for 24-48 hours unless you're using very fresh seeds, in which case you can skip the step.

Then, mix the seeds with some peat or a peat/sand mix, slightly moisten (just slightly), dust with some sulfur, and then place in a breathable baggie.

I think "they" say at least 60 but not more than 120 days for stratification. You'll want to check the baggies periodically to ensure they are appropriately moist and not developing mold or other unpleasantries.

After the stratification period, you can sow the seeds in flats and then pot them up individually once they emerge and develop their first set of true leaves.

If you want to subject them to outdoor stratification, just sow them in flats and make sure they're protected from predation by mice or other animals. If I have some very choice seeds I'll cover the flat in landscape fabric. Otherwise, I just take my chances.

3. BigBudz

BigBudz Active Member

Well, i soak my seeds for 24-hours. im using a peat n perlite base medium. placed the seeds in there and i have them in the fridge. mine were placed in oct 19th.