Podocarpus is really drooping !

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by barrolini, Nov 20, 2012.

1. barrolini

barrolini Active Member

Have had a Podocarpus indoors for a few years and it has done well. It was repotted about a year ago, took on new growth, and appeared to be thriving. Recently, it has begun to droop quite severely, appears lifeless, and hasn't evidenced new growth for quite some time. Leaves are still green, no sign of any visible insects or such. But it has the look of a plant that is definitely on its way out.

Any and all suggestions welcomed.

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Overwatered?

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Got dried out when heat came on?

4. barrolini

barrolini Active Member

Thank you for your replies. But, I have even reduced its watering regimen, and the heat in the house is basically constant throughout the year. I am really at a loss on this one.

If I see no change and it continues to "droop", should I try repotting, if nothing else?

5. Michael F

Photos?

6. barrolini

barrolini Active Member

Here are a couple of photos (I hope) of the Podocarpus

Attached Files:

7. Michael F

Must admit, it looks OK to me. It could probably do with a better-lit spot closer to a large window.

8. Ron B

From what can be seen here top of potting medium looks dry.

9. barrolini

barrolini Active Member

Gentlemen:
    Thank you for your very helpful replies. In fact, since topping up the soil in the container, and relocating the plant for a little more light, it appears to have a new lease on life. Thank you again for your help.
    Barrie (barrolini)

10. Ron B

Regarding the idea that it looked normal perhaps you were mistaking the natural limpness of new growths for wilting, and after these firmed up it then looked better to you.

11. barrolini

barrolini Active Member

Hi. I've had the plant for 6+ years and it was seriously drooping...actually sagging, with no signs of recent new growth. On closer examination, I noted that the core of the root system was actually exposed above the surface of the surrounding soil, and as such it had to be drying out abnormally, even afrer watering.
    Topping up the soil, and adding a thin layer of mulch above, and a subsequent watering has brought it visibly back to its pre-existing form. I also moved it to a little better location. Since that time it has returned its healthier, pre-sagging appearance.
    Thanks again for your help

12. Ron B

Taking us back to my original thinking. When a plant is re-planted if there is a textural difference between the material that the roots are in to start with and the new growing medium around that area there can be problems with watering, do to how movement of water between zones of differing textures occurs. This usually comes up when talking about plants being put in the ground, but is probably what happened in this instance also.

13. Insectivore

Insectivore Active Member

And the dirt often falls down some while settling after repotting, so that could cause your exposed roots.