Japanese maples that hold nice summer color in near full shade?

Discussion in 'Maples' started by rufretic, Feb 2, 2012.

1. copperbeech

copperbeech Active Member 10 Years

I guess the major advantage of buying it now is the discounted price (30% off regular) and if I was going to put it in the ground this season then of course it starts in the ground from the very start of next season...that has to give this slow growing tree an extra inch or two head start.

I hadn't even considered leaving it in the pot in the garage. Given the time of year this is safer than putting it into the ground sans container?

If I get the pictures of the leafless 6 gallon trees I will post them and hopefully you can let me know which one if any will look good in 10 years ;).

Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
  2. Jalf

Jalf Active Member Maple Society

To get back to your original question about JM's that do well in shade, 'Ukigumo', 'Sagara Nishiski', 'Sister Ghost' and Acer shirasawanum 'Aureum' have done very well in my shade gardens which are shaded by oaks and pines. Hope that helps.

3. copperbeech

copperbeech Active Member 10 Years

So I heard back from the nursery and they were good enough to send along 2 photos of two different "Golden Full Moon" (price is $174 reduced from $249).

I believe they are about 3 feet tall.

What do you think? Is there much to choose between these 2 in terms of the basic 'bones' of each?

Thanks in advance for your advice and experience.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 20, 2012