Appreciation: "The Wood-Wide-Web: Are Plants Inter-Connected by a Subterranean Fungal Network?"

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by danc, Nov 16, 2012.

1. danc

danc Active Member 10 Years

Very interesting, it was only yesterday that I learned that there is a so called "wood wide web":

At the Root of the Wood Wide Web

The Wood-Wide-Web: Are Plants Inter-Connected by a Subterranean Fungal Network?

So I understand that mushrooms are an indicator of the presence of such network. I saw mushrooms these days in my garden, where plants were planted intensively in the past 5 years. I also wonder if the fungi I always notice especially on the roots of potted conifers is the fungi in discussion.

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

3. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Thank you Daniel for posting that,
    I was there for that talk at the VMS show, I still find that mycorrhizal map just amazing!
    cheers,
    frog

4. danc

danc Active Member 10 Years

Thanks, that is a great research. I did not pay much attention when I probably got that Botany Photo of the Day

I looked for mushrooms in my garden and here are some photos of I think two different types:

PB190546.jpg PB190548.jpg
    PB190559.jpg PB190563.jpg

So I start do understand what is going on in the ground. And I feel I was not that wrong when I did not refrain myself from quite high density planting. I always thought a group of 3-4 birch trees would look much better than an isolated one.

PB190556.jpg

5. MycoRob

MycoRob Active Member

stellar pictures.