pest and disease pictures, please advise.

Discussion in 'Maples' started by rufretic, Nov 17, 2012.

1. rufretic

rufretic Active Member

Well with all the leaves gone now, I think I've found a couple problems.

First one is Orange Dream. One branch has several white swollen marks. I'm wondering if this is from a pest and if so, does the branch need to go? If the eggs are in those spots, can I treat it with something or do I need to just snip the branch? I have not found marks like these anywhere else on the tree or any others.

The second is my largest dissectum, Garnet. The tree has an old broken branch that was never pruned properly and it looks like it has been infected with a fungus or some other disease. It has orange bumps growing on the dead wood and a black boarder on the healthy bark. This is on a good size branch so I would like to save it if possible. Do I just need a fugacide?

Here are the pics.
    Thank you for any help.

Attached Files:

2. 17 Maples

17 Maples Active Member

a couple things, your first photo is indicative of Cicada damage by the adult female, sorry but no know chemical controls for this

second you have oyster shell scale, apply a dormant spray in January/February 2013, Copper - fungicide plus an insecticide oil treatment - read manufacturers directions off the label(s) of the materials, the area with red bulbous fungi spores needs to be pruned out, the Fungicide/dormant spray will help, please disinfect your pruners after removing the branches, actually each cut would be of benefit. I use straight up lysol spray unscented as it does a pretty good job over the past 30 plus years. you are dealing with a wood rotting fungi so removing it at all means is essential.

make notes about it's growing season this upcoming year and you may need a second application in the winter of 2013/2014, keep your eyes open to anything new that may have been missed during your pruning. disinfect the grounds around the tree and below it but applying the dormant spray on the tree should take care of this.....

HTH

E ~

3. rufretic

rufretic Active Member

Thank you so much! So for the first one, the damage is done? So I can just leave it and see if the branch heals?

I will be sure to take your advise for the second one, thanks again!

4. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

I am afraid the orange spots are Nectria cinnabarina, known as Coral Spot, a fungal pathogen. It usually starts on dead wood and can spread to living tissue, especially if weakened. Prune back to healthy wood and either burn the infected branch or dispose of off site.

5. 17 Maples

17 Maples Active Member

ruf let me explain further on your first photo. if this is from the Cicada insect then she has notched the branchlet with her ovipositer so to speak and laid her eggs within the branch, what will happen some years down the road upwards of 10 or more years, is the young will emerge and the branch will be broken off causing a "flagging" as we call it, the branch will be connected but hanging down vertically.

as maf said prune the branch infected out and make sure your pruners are sharp but you want to make sure the pruners are clean, I do not trust even pruners used on mildewed plants to even come close in my yard without some sort of cleansing mechanism applied before using again.