What are you growing indoors?

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by ghp, Mar 2, 2011.

1. lkailburn

lkailburn Active Member

seems to be that way. my meyer lemon dropped all flowers/new fruit. it did not drop any fruit larger then a marble and that's how it is on my lime, all the small(youngest fruit) even though they were set for over a month maybe even 2 months dropped. It has some fruit still on there(the older fruit that set 3+ months ago. not sure if this could be corrected by not spraying the oils directly on the fruits(covering them up some how while spraying)?

-Luke

2. ghp

ghp Active Member

Thanks for sharing your experiences. I'm new to taking care of citrus, so this is all good information to know.

3. heli

heli Active Member

Wow Tom your house sounds like mine, I'm also growing purple potatoes in my kitchen

4. ghp

ghp Active Member

Purple potatoes sound interesting! I had to Google them just now because I've never seen those before. Do they taste like other potatoes?

5. heli

heli Active Member

I think they are a little different tasting, They are purple all they way through, and make a great natural dye too

6. lkailburn

lkailburn Active Member

I've seen them around, always been afraid to eat them because to my eye they just look like a rotten potatoe! haha Curious as to what you are growing them in and by what(grow lights, windows?)

-Luke

7. ghp

ghp Active Member

I'd try them if I saw one out curiosity! =) Plus, the natural purple plant pigment is probably really healthy.

8. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

I love the purples when they're in season... For indoor growing, treat them kind of like tomatoes, but don't fertilize a whole lot. A nice 10-gallon pot will work nicely - start with it full only maybe 1/4 of the way, and then keep burying the plant stems as they get tall. You'll end up with more spuds that way. Oh, and lots of light!

9. Saru

Saru Member

What I am growing inside:
    *paddle plant
    *Hindu rope plant (Krinkle Kurl Hoya)
    *2 different types of Jade plants (dont know what kind...)
    *tomatoes
    *miniture rose
    *cacti from random seeds
    *lily seeds I hybridized and am hoping grow
    *christmas cactis
    *some palm plant
    *umbrella trees
    *chocolate soldier succulant
    *"Straw flower" cacti from Wal-Mart
    *attempting to start a butterfly bush

10. ghp

ghp Active Member

Wow, another great list! I'm in awe of everyones' green thumb here. =)

11. Saru

Saru Member

Aw thanks!
    I do try..It's more of a green pinkie :D

My roses aren't looking too happy and I am unsure about the baby cacti

12. heli

heli Active Member

I have my purple potatoes growing in a large pot in a very sunny window right now because our weather here in WY is still to cold but as soon as I can plant them outside I want to try stacking wood boxes with straw in them for more spuds I've heard this can be done with old tires but I would be afraid of the chemicals in the rubber getting in my spuds

13. CactiLoverNikki

CactiLoverNikki Member

14. heli

heli Active Member

So sorry Niki:( I can't remember what kind that is, does any body else out there know? This will drive me nuts,haha

Here is a list of my indoor plants, way to many but I love each and every one! Norfolk Pine,Asparagus fern,Golden Pothos,Mother-in-law-tongue,Hoya,Column cactus,several euphorbia,Rhypsalis,Philodendron,Spider plant,Orchid cactus,Dragon fruit,Aloe Vera,Agav'e,Jade trees,Donkey tail,Stapilads,Madagascar Palm,Ponytail Palm,Staghorn fern,String of buttons,Moss,Zygo cactuses,String of pearls,Poinsetta,Anthurium,Nepthitis,Nepenthis(Monkey Cup),Cobra lily,Orchids,Amarillus,African Violets,Eureka Lemon,Mandarn Orange,Avacados, Mangos,Haworthia,Pencil Plant,Echeveria,Tislandia,Dracenea,Money Plant,Rabbitsfoot fern,Medusa cactus,Candalabra cactus,Purple Potatoes,whew!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2011
  15. gardeningfreak

gardeningfreak Member

My list goes like this,
    Bamboo
    Orchids
    African Violets
    Braided Ficus Tree
    Miniture Rose
    and
    Christmas Cactis

16. lkailburn

lkailburn Active Member

What a list! Would you mind posting pictures of the dragon fruit, lemon, orange, avocado and mango plants? As well as listing their age. I'm curious if the dragon fruit has produced for you.

Thanks!!

-Luke

17. heli

heli Active Member

So far my dragon fruit is very small I've only had it less than a year and they don't grow very fast indoors,but I can't wait to put it outside for the summer so it can really take off.The lemon I've had for a few years now and it produces quite often, the orange tree I,ve had for awhile also it almost died last year so I left it outside all summer and it really came back but still hasn't produced.The Mangos and Avacados are just getting started from seed. I will try to send pics as soon as I figure out how:)

18. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

19. lkailburn

lkailburn Active Member

Yes, would love to see photos when you get a chance!

-Luke

20. heli

heli Active Member

Been very busy lately, Please be patient with me!

21. paphdependent

paphdependent Member

Some extremely impressive plants around here. I managed to germinate a single jackfruit seed! We'll see how it goes! Heard that their taproots can get out of hand rather quickly.

22. paphdependent

paphdependent Member

I've had awesome luck with grapefruit and dragonfruit as well! Dragon fruit will sit at the seedling stange for a bit, but can suddenly go crazy. Have some graprefruit and avocado as well, but I've never had success with mango. Did they take a while to germinate?

23. heli

heli Active Member

Hi ! boy I haven't heard from anybody on here for a long time! as far as the mango goes:) Mine germinate in about a week, I have tried several ways of doing this and they all seem to work. You can try, poking toothpicks into it like with an avacado and puting it into a jar of water, or wraping the seed in wet paper towel and putting it in a plastic bag, or just planting the seed directly in dirt, keeping it moist and all verisions require warmth and sunlight. The seeds will not germinate without warmth especially. Also mangos get huge in the right climate, but their fruit is pretty much inedible enless their grafted. I understand that wild grown mangos have a texture of dental floss and taste and smell like turpentine. Thanks for the thread! Heli

24. paphdependent

paphdependent Member

Thanks for the answers! Good to know that you're still around :)
    I'll admit that I've tried mangoes a few times with the 'baggie' method, but the pits usually just sit there. I think warmth might be the element that I've been missing, since I generally start more seeds in the winter. This encourages me to try it again! They can definitely get huge as adults... I had the good fortune to visit Brazil this year, and some of the multi-story mango trees on the streets are absolutely majestic!

25. heli

heli Active Member

Oh Wow! Lucky you! I know mine will never be anything but a beautiful house plant. I dearly love to grow things, and find it very hard to find others with the same interest. I was noticeing your user name are you also an orchid grower? I would be very interested in some tips if you have any on getting avacado pits started.It seems they take forever if at all. Thanks for your reply, Heli