Queen Marble???

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by Ashley, Dec 14, 2005.

1. Ashley

Ashley Member

Hi... I have a queen marble .. or ivy plant the leaves are turning yellow and some are even brown (i take them off right away) ... i know its a low light minimal watering plant .. which is why i bought it... a plant thats almost not kill able lol i have recently moved from a very cold house to a warm apartment is that what might be causing the leaves to look as if the plant was over watered? i mean in all honesty i give the plant 2 cups of water a week... its quite big... but the girl at the nursery where i bought it said to wait till the soils surface was really dry before i water it and then to give it a fair amount of water... is there any suggestions on things i can do?

2. Dee M.

Dee M. Active Member 10 Years

You probably have a 'Marble Queen' Pothos. It can take low light for a long time but to really grow it, give it some light by a window, just not hot afternoon sun in the summer. You should stick your finger in the soil and feel if it's dry about a half inch to 1 inch down, if so you should give it lots of water. Don't let it sit in a saucer of water. There is no way to say how often you should water it, it will change with the weather and other conditions. It might mean once every 3 days or 3 weeks.

3. Ashley

Ashley Member

thanks.... ill try that and see where it goes.. i have it hanging on my curtain rod and its gettin some morning light from my sky lights its only about 3 hours... a day not hot but i do keep my house at a constant 20*C cause of my son... so its seems to have bounced back from the cold... ill see if it makes a difference with the watering tech. you have suggested thanks again!

4. Dee M.

You're welcome. The light sounds just right for it. House plants don't grow too much in the winter in our latitudes unless they have artificial light. That plant does like it warm. Just remember, more house plants are killed by over watering than under watering.

5. Ashley

Ashley Member

yeah.. i agree with you on dying of plants for over watering... i mean i have a realativly busy life having an 11 month old so i wanted something that was really nice and virtually not kill able (at least thats what the girl at the nursery said) I have found thats its wrapping itself around everything... its was about 5' when i got it in may ... now its about 8 feet long... so i must be doin something right... i also have some sort of palm plant... ill take a pic and post as soon as im done writing this. I dont know what kind it is or what it likes because my sister gave it to me when she moved away but when she gave it to me it was almost dead... no green on it except the stem... and now its got some green to its leaves only got a couple yellow/brown ones but curious on what kind it is any help would be great...

6. Ashley

Ashley Member

here are some pictures of both plants

Attached Files:

7. Dee M.

It is a Corn plant Draceana. It likes about the same conditions as the Pothos. It naturally loses it's lowest, oldest leaves. The brown tips on the young leaves may be from over watering or over fertilzing, don't fertilize it in the winter. http://www.plantoftheweek.org/week208.shtml Here is a link about it.
    Don't let your your little one eat the Pothos, it is poisonous, you could wrap it back up over the pot to keep it out of reach.
    It sounds like you are doing really well by these plants, keep it up!

8. Ashley

Ashley Member

yeah i know the pothos poisonous... i only took it down to take the pic.. i have it drapped across my tv and speakers and stuff... and i also have the other plant behind a chair where he cant get it cause i didnt know much about them thanks to you i can read up on them though! totally appriciated! thanks soo much im really gald a came across this site... everyone here is really nice! I also posted previously on a torch plant that had mold growing and someone told us to replant it... and we went to do that and it smelt horrible we just threw it out even the new shoots were smelly and molding... we tried but no chance for survival! and just a quick question does anyone one know anything about the myth/rumor that birth control pills act as a steroid to help the growth of plants?