Unknown Bug

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by chirita, Oct 12, 2012.

1. chirita

chirita Active Member

I have been growing tropicals plants for many years and have encountered all of the common insect pests. Recently, however I have acquired something new which I have been unable to identify. There are minute bugs with pointed bodies running around in my plant saucers and today I saw one moving in the soil. They aren't fungas gnats because I have nothing flying around. I use diatomaceous earth in my potting soil which I thought would control most soil dwelling insects but this one seems to be able to survive that. It is not hopping so I assume it is not springtails. Does anyone have any ideas?

2. mrsubjunctive

mrsubjunctive Active Member

Springtails don't necessarily hop. That'd be my guess for what you've got. A picture might confirm, but I know from experience that it's hard to get a decent picture of them. (This is the best one I've gotten so far.)

3. chirita

chirita Active Member

Thanks for your reply. The photo doesn't look like what I've got. My little bugs are dark brown/black in colour. I have tried a photo but they are so small that it didn't show them very well. Is there somewhere I could send them for identification?

4. chirita

chirita Active Member

Upon further investigation, my bugs may be springtails. In Canada we are no longer able to get any insecticides that can be used as soil drenches. Does anyone have any ideas on how to eradicate springtails from the soil.