Is it a 'Koto-No-Ito'?

Discussion in 'Maples' started by AlainK, Oct 5, 2012.

1. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

I bought this maple from a garden center last spring and it was only lableled "Acer palmatum". After some search here and from Vertrees & Gregory, I think it's a 'Koto-No-Ito': what do you think?...

Attached Files:

2. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Hi Alain,

Nice plant. I think you could be right. It certainly resembles mine closely. I'll be interested in other opinions, identification is not exactly my strong point.

3. jacquot

jacquot Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

It looks like mine as well. It is a lovely tree. I'm sure there are other possibilities, too. It should be mostly orange with some red in the fall. Mine is full grown and the center of the garden, just lovely and unique.

4. AlainK

Thanks for your replies.

I know how hard it is to identify a cultivar when you don't know its "genealogy", but this one is very special, there aren't so many looking similar. I also bought an 'Emerald Lace' and a 'Seyriu' there.

The garden center I went to ("Truffaut") had beautiful maples and when I saw this one, I thought "I must have it!". Apparently they get their maples from "La Bambouseraie d'Anduze", for those who live in France. They don't sell online, but if you have the opportunity to visit it, it's a beautiful park. I went there a couple of years ago, and I bought a 'Butterfly'. Apparently, their trees are very healthy.

I was recently offered a Palm. 'Atropurpureum', a 'Dissectum' and a 'Dissectum Atro.': I'm not even trying to identify them, there are so many in these series. They are 2-3 yr-old grafted trees (50-70 cm), and they come from a discount store ("Aldi"): 9.90€ each, it's worth offering 3 for the price of one ;) They come from a nursery in the Netherlands.

5. pat bateman

pat bateman Member

It could be Kinshi.

6. AlainK

Thanks for the suggestion. I've checked, and the leaves on mine are thinner, I'm almost 100% certain now that it's a 'Koto-No-Ito'.

7. pat bateman

pat bateman Member

8. jacquot

jacquot Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

I bought a Koto Ito Komachi a few years ago that while in a container still, is for all I can see identical to the Koto No Ito. It has not followed the slow growth rate described in Vertrees' book at all. My Koto No Ito is full grown now and perhaps my favorite maple.
    David

9. AlainK

Hi David,

Maybe the rootstock it was grafted on is the key. Far beyond my knowledge, but I'd think it plays a part.