Tree ID from Bernheim Nature Preserve in KY

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Jon45150, Sep 24, 2012.

1. Jon45150

Jon45150 Active Member

This was the only sapling we saw like this while we were at this park. We could not find anything like it in our tree books. The leaves have a passing resemblance to Sawtooth oaks but not as pointy. Unfortunately the photo of the buds did not turn out.

This nature preserve had many trees that are not native to Kentucky, so this is not necessarily a native tree.

Anyone know what this could be?

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Probably shingle oak.

3. Jon45150

Jon45150 Active Member

This is why I wish the photo of the buds had turned out - the buds are not clustered like oak buds. Shingle oaks have smooth margins while these leaves are toothed like a sawtooth oak. Had I taken better photos this would be more evident.

I suspected this one would be tough to ID. As I mentioned this place has tree species from around the world, so this could be anything, including a hybrid.

4. GreenLarry

GreenLarry Active Member 10 Years

Looks a bit like a form of Hornbeam. (Carpinus)

5. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

I'd agree with an oak of some sort.

6. Jon45150

Jon45150 Active Member

Could it be Prunus Laurocerasus (Cherry Laurel) or a cultivar of this?

7. Ron B

No. Definitely an oak.

8. Jon45150

Jon45150 Active Member

OK, I emailed Bernheim and asked them what type of Oak this could be. They have some botanists working there, and this tree is very close to their research center. Hopefully I get a response.

9. Jon45150

Jon45150 Active Member

Turns out there was a reason the leaves looked similar to Sawtooth Oak leaves. I got a response from Eric at Bernheim:

"Jon,

The tree in question is in fact an oak…Quercus acutissima-Sawtooth oak. The younger juvenile leaves on the lower limbs are much more obtuse and very much confusing. We found the tree this morning and took a look higher up in the canopy to find the leaves much more acute as is typical for this species- and even a few acorns. Definitely an odd shaped leaf in the photos…… thanks for noticing and for the ID opportunity!

Eric Garris
    Horticulturist
    Bernheim Arboretum and Research Forest
    "

We could not see clearly up higher in the tree, partially because the sun was so bright that day and partially because my vision is not that great anymore.

Thanks again everyone for you help and also for having patience with us.

10. Ron B

I might have suggested that one if you had not ruled it out. Shingle oak I thought sometimes was toothed, that because we were looking at different leaves than from higher in the tree they were not the stereotypic ones - as did in fact turn out to be the case, even though the species was different.

Many other kinds of trees and shrubs produce more or less different leaves on young specimens or growths, or on shaded portions lower down. Sometimes these are quite different.