N. California: Erurus Cleopatra Ruiter Hyb

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Anita Vairo, Sep 27, 2012.

1. Anita Vairo

Anita Vairo Member

I recently purchased several of these bulbs.Want to know how deep to plant
    them, and what to feed them, and how much water to give them thankyou

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Presumably you are asking about Eremurus.

3. Anita Vairo

Anita Vairo Member

Yes-we just planted 30 or so I want to make sure they are in the right place. I received no planting instructions with these plants.

Thank You Anita Vairo

4. Ron B

Full sun, good drainage, enough room. Wild parental species characteristically grow well spaced out, in open barren places where there is little competition. Have to watch you don't step on the new shoots in spring, when this happens they collapse with a sickening crunching sound.

5. Anita Vairo

Anita Vairo Member

Thank You so much. They are interplanted with the peonies . Should I dig in a little
    sand? Or not I really appreciate the answer and Your fast response
    Sincerely Anita Vairo

6. Ron B

Digging in a little sand doesn't do anything for plantings unless the existing soil is just about to where the desired proportion of sand has been reached, and the little addition puts it across the line. In general when using sand to break up a dense soil you have to use a huge amount to get the desired effect. And then you have to be careful you do not produce a coarse, droughty, leaching sandy soil.

If you are asking about placing a pure pocket or layer of sand beneath the roots, as I think is often recommended for Eremurus there are reasons why that might not be worthwhile also. When soil conditions are questionable for a particular type of plant the best thing is to either excavate and replace the existing soil with better soil, over a bed-sized area (and not pockets or holes) or to dump preferred soil on top of the existing, plant in that, without blending the two together.

7. Anita Vairo

Anita Vairo Member

We brought in premium gold planters mix and added bonemeal and peat moss
    I just wondered if a little sand would be beneficial.
    Thank You , once again You have been very helpful
    Anita Vairo

8. Ron B

One of the common names for the genus is desert candle. Depending on what part of California your town is in you may have had quite suitable soil conditions to begin with for this particular plant, with all this stuff you are digging in(?) not producing a better situation for it.

There is good, modern information about the use of bone meal and soil amendments, including peat moss here:

http://www.puyallup.wsu.edu/~linda chalker-scott/Horticultural Myths_files/index.html