Oregon: Suggestions for Low Maintenance Plants/Shrubs for Partial Shade Garden

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by csiemens, Aug 18, 2011.

1. csiemens

csiemens Active Member

(Prompted after a grueling morning of yard work). There is a neglected area of my front garden that I am wanting to finally start working with, and I am looking for suggestions for plants and shrubs.

It is somewhat inaccessible (raised several feet from street level on slight slope, it is bounded by a stone wall that would probably look nice having plants trail off of it), and I need to be really motivated to crawl up in there to weed, water and maintain. It is in partial shade, it does get a few hours of good sunlight a day, but that is about it. I am looking for suggestions on what I might be able to put in there, it would be nice to have different height plantings, but not necessary. Low maintenance, drought resistance is the most important.

Right now, what exists is a largish camellia tree against the house, some sad looking irises right against the house that never bloom, some also sad-looking pieris that don't ever seem to grow larger, euphorbia and a massive planting of daisies that is spreading everywhere and always looks terrible except for about a month in spring. The daisies have to go, so I will immediately have a big space for planting.

2. woodschmoe

woodschmoe Active Member 10 Years

Lithidora diffusa (esp. 'Heavenly Blue') would trail over the wall, Golden Oregano might look good behind it, spaced as mounds on the slope with lithidora growing between...maybe mixed Hostas at the back/high point. Lysmachia clethroides AKA 'Gooseneck loosestrife' would work in such conditions, but it would take over the entire bed...good if you want to carpet the area, but would need containing to avoid neighbouring plant and people issues. Doubtless a bunch more suggestions coming from others.

Dividing the irises might work wonders re:blooms..if the Pieris have grass/weeds up to the trunk, a good mulch of woodchips might work wonders re:growth (I may assume too much to suggest you haven't done these things...).

3. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

To trail over the wall, Aubretia would be a good option.

For ground cover at the back of the bed, or in more shady areas of the bed, Hellebores are a good low maintenance choice which provide interest in early spring before most things get going.

4. csiemens

csiemens Active Member

Nice suggestions! I cleared out a large area today, and will have a little bit of time before planting to do a better than I usually do of planning this out.

The pieris was mulched a few times, it just never has seemed too happy there.

5. Silver surfer

Silver surfer Generous Contributor 10 Years

Every garden needs evergreens. They act as a backdrop for other plants, give structure/ interest in the winter.

May I recommend Sarcococca. Common name sweet box. They are slow growing, never growing too tall, they take shade and are good near paths, so that you can get the scent as you pass from the tiny flowers. Plant a group of 3! They also have either black or red berries

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Sa...&source=og&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi&biw=1272&bih=501

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarcococca

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=e...&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi

6. csiemens

csiemens Active Member

Wow, I love the sweet box! Thank you, I think this will almost surely go into the garden.

7. dt-van

dt-van Active Member 10 Years

There are two species of sarcococca, one dwarf and one farly tall. Both have similar leaves and fragrant flowers. Sarcococca confusa gets 3-5', while Sarcococca hookerana humilis is a more spreading plant only 1-2' tall. Both are great plants but make sure you are getting the one you want.

8. Silver surfer

Silver surfer Generous Contributor 10 Years

As well as these 2 species of Sarcococca there are others that we grow, such as
    S. orientalis, S.ruscifolia,S. saligna, and S. wallichii!

9. csiemens

csiemens Active Member

10. Quincys Slave

Quincys Slave Active Member

11. csiemens

csiemens Active Member

Just an update, I planted some sarcococca last fall, and it has done amazingly well, despite our very dry summer, and minimal watering on my part. Beautiful plant. I am going to get more.