Identification: Chanterelles?

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by Gasdark, Aug 20, 2012.

1. Gasdark

Gasdark Member

I found these in a state park forest in Central Pennsylvania:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/85443526@N06/sets/72157631167939634/

I only just started mushrooming this weekend, so I'm particularly wary about getting the right mushrooms. Having said that, these appear to meet every characteristic of a young chanterelle, as I understand it.

I found them a few feet from a tree with rough bark and broad green leaves, in two separate but relatively proximate patches of mushrooms. In the forest they had an almost peachish/orange hue - once inside, and in these pictures, they seem much yellower.

I know of two look alikes - jack o lantern and false chanterelle - but these mushrooms don't appear to have gills and, as far as I could tell, do not glow in the dark.

They don't smell like apricots, but they did have a pleasant aroma.

Let me know if you need any more information - I sort of feel like I'm beating a dead horse here and should just cook one up tomorrow and do a test tasting - but I figure better safe than sorry?

2. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

These definitely look like Chanterelles to me, but I don't know which species. They will be safe to eat, but you should always start with a small sample of any mushroom that you haven't tried before because allergic reactions are always possible.

3. MycoRob

MycoRob Active Member

What vitog said. I'd guess they are Cantharellus appalachiensis.

4. Gasdark

Gasdark Member

awesome, thanks!

5. Joel Bolete

Joel Bolete Active Member

Yeah! those are definetly the little chanterelles. Yellow ones, very nice. Look a bit dried up. So good to see some cantherellus finally this year being posted! makes me so excited! there has been NO rain here in vancouver area for almost 6 weeks straight. hot and dry, not so good for mushrooms.

please enjoy your chanterelles and think of us in more parched areas waiting patiently for the bounty to grow!